And now, ice dams on Mom's roof

Page 3 of 4
On 02/20/2014 12:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi Stormin,
Now you risk burning your roof! How about just tossing a bucket of blistering hot water at spots to break the dam?
Course, if you burn your roof, you may actually find out from your mom if your really were adopted or not.
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 02/20/2014 01:18 PM, Todd wrote:

Not to ask too stupid a question, but did you sweep the rest of the snow off her roof and sweep the water build up out of her dam? Ice hanging over the eves with no water behind it shouldn't be an issue
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 2/20/2014 4:27 PM, Todd wrote:

I don't have a roof rake, but I may buy one some day. There was only a little snow remaining up there over the ice dams. We're expecting rain tonight, and that rain might go under the ice dams.
Of course, Mom said "the guy" chopped off the ice, and cleared the gutters. Not sure how he did that.
I may take a roll by tonight or tomorrow, and have a look see.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/20/2014 4:18 PM, Todd wrote:

The affected area is covered in ice. And there is plenty of snow to put on anything that lights up.
The torch doesn't have a very large flame, and it's possible to keep the flame onto ice.
Throwing bucket of hot water would splash, run off, and do nearly no change. I'd be better off to run a garden hose off the laundry sink in the cellar, and run a gentle but long lasting stream.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/20/2014 01:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Just an idea, run the hose directly off your water heater. You can drain the gunk out of it at the same time. Suppose to do it once a year anyway.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 2/20/2014 4:52 PM, Todd wrote:

That would drain cold from the bottom.
Mom called someone, and says the ice dams have been chopped off, and the gutters cleared. I've got to roll by some time, see this for myself.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/20/2014 02:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Huh? Every time I drain my water heater the water is hotter than the eternal golf course! Great for killing weeds!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

If the ice dams are gone, what's to see...empty gutters? Might as well wait till spring. They"ll look the same and you won't be so cold.
Feb 20, 2014, 4:38 PM
Mom called. Says the guy who cleared the gutters last time, she called him out. He cleared them again. Again? The last time she was going to call the guy, it was about 15 degrees out.
When I was there today, there were several inches of ice. Asked how he managed that. She's not sure. But he cleared them out again, "chopped it out some how" and we're all set. I asked her to ask the guy how he did that, I'm curious.
With any luck, I'll never know.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/20/2014 01:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No roast beef dinner!?!?!? Why, why, MOMS THESE DAYS!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 2/20/2014 4:53 PM, Todd wrote:

Well, she did take me for pizza yesterday. And I got to take some slices home.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/20/2014 02:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My faith in moms has been restored. Wait? No home cookin'????
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 2/20/2014 2:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

be used to cut vertical slices which could help break up the ice like it was glass with a grove scratched in it? ^_^
TDD

Dunno. might work, or might refreeze behind the lines.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

http://www.structuretech1.com/category/ice-dams-how-to-remove/
On 2/20/2014 12:00 AM, micky wrote:

Fun web site. Thank you. Now, the conclusion from the web site:
Conclusion
Ice dams are no fun. As I mentioned at the beginning of this blog, hiring a pro to steam the ice dams off is the only thing I recommend.
Oh, and one more piece of advice: if you know someone who has water leaking in to their house from ice dams, don’t tell them to “stop focusing on how to get rid of the ice dam, and spend your time fixing what caused it.” It’s like telling someone with a gash in their finger to be more careful around knives. ”Great, thanks, now please pass the Band-Aids.”
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I couldn't make myself read all of the posts so far in this thread.
Did you say somewhere that the ice dams were causing leaks? If not, maybe the roof already has ice shield along the edges underneath the asphalt shingles and that is preventing leaks as it should.
So, is it leaking? Is that why you are trying to get rid of the ice dams?
On 2/20/2014 4:47 PM, TomR wrote:

SM: Yes, we have had leaks through the indoor ceiling. Most notably in the back room off the kitchen.
If not, maybe

SM: Would be nice. I'm not sure.

SM: I've not asked Mom if it has leaked so far this year, but she's very concerned about water coming into the house and causing damage. Yes, that's why we are trying to get rid of the ice dams.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Where is krw when we need him? Oh, well...I'll say it for him:
Idiot