And now, ice dams on Mom's roof

OT, but good. My ex-girlfriend, who ran a business by herself and is usually very competent, would vacuum her carpets every week or so. Finally her new boyfriend pointed out that the belt that runs the brush in her vacuum was broken (and probably had been for months or years) and she was barely getting any of the dirt out. She thought that was so funny.

Reply to
micky

Not only that, the people and satellites above you can't read your mind waves when you have a steel roof.

Reply to
micky

micky

That really sucked for her. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I had similar moment, got a part time job helping clean a restaurant. Same deal with all the vac cleaners they had. And the electric sockets were all worn out, most of them didn't make contact.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wonder how long till NSA and DHS outlaw steel roofs?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Fun web site. Thank you. Now, the conclusion from the web site:

Conclusion

Ice dams are no fun. As I mentioned at the beginning of this blog, hiring a pro to steam the ice dams off is the only thing I recommend.

Oh, and one more piece of advice: if you know someone who has water leaking in to their house from ice dams, don?t tell them to ?stop focusing on how to get rid of the ice dam, and spend your time fixing what caused it.? It?s like telling someone with a gash in their finger to be more careful around knives. ?Great, thanks, now please pass the Band-Aids.?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you belt her good?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No new text?

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

On a serious note, I gather the insurance industry thinks steel roofs are pretty darned great. Much more resistant to wind and hail damage than asphalt shingles, fire-resistant, longer lifespan. Anything that reduces their likelihood of paying a claim is going to make them very happy.

Steel roofing began showing up around here a year or so after I last roofed my house, dammit. I'd have chosen it in a heartbeat. The next time I roof will be the last time I roof, and I'll use steel. It'll outlast me.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

If it's that important to you, next time I'll use steel, and that will outlast you.

Reply to
micky

Hi Burford,

You put your response under the "--", which tells our readers that it is part of your "signature" block and it displays in very lite gray. Put you response above the "--" and others will see what you wrote.

And you are correct, Jesus will fox things for you if you ask real nice.

-T

Reply to
Todd

He stuck it in his "signature" block. Look for the dim gray text under his "--"

Reply to
Todd

Lucas should make vacuum cleaners. With their record it would be their only product that didn't suck - - - -

Reply to
clare

They've already outlawed lead paint --------

Reply to
clare

the hockey puck shaped salt things didn't appear to do much.

The heater tape in the back did some thing, there was snow missing where the tape went zigzag, and might have been some channels through the ice dam.

On the front, not much visible change. There is one channel through the ice where I chipped and propane torched. Rest of it looks much the same.

I used the pole rig to put up some rock salt. Rock salt on the slippery ice dam slides off to the ground. Salt on the snow above the ice dam sticks in place. Might melt through the ice dam, or might melt and run under the ice dam and come through the ceiling.

Not sure what to do, now. Might take a torch or propane heater, and try to melt some of the ice off. Might try and find a roof rake, so I can remove the fresh snow before it remelts.

Might try and get Mom to let me put up some heat tape on the front, also. Meantime, not much to do but worry and wait.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not many Americans will get the subtle humor, there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You mean the technology disease Lucasitis? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Actually, the ice is transmitting the force of the blow through to your roof. Your roof is taking a pounding. You might be avoiding the claw hitting it, but the "thud" still goes through. And, who doesn't get careless when they are tired, cold, and swearing up a storm? (Don't let your mom hear you. She still has "that" bar of soap at the ready.)

Reply to
Todd

Most people don't type those dashes by hand, but if you check, the signature separator is "-- ", not "--".

There must be a single trailing space or it won't work.

Reply to
Dan Espen