And now, ice dams on Mom's roof

Page 2 of 4

I had to use heat wires for a few years until I had the roof replaced. 2 years ago I had full soffit vents cut, a ridge vent replaced the box vents and I installed baffles in the rafter bays. Allow me to tell you how much that job absolutely sucked. To get to one section of the attic I had to squeeze between the 16” OC studs while lying on my stomach and crawl into an area that is about 3 feet below the main section. I slid a couple of long boards into the space so I could lie across the joist and insulation. Hot, dirty, and no room to work.
Anyway, for the past 2 years I have had practically zero ice dam issues. I compare my house to the other houses in the neighborhood and there is no doubt that the roof work has paid off. I have no icicles while other houses look like mine used to - icicles along every gutter. Eventually I want blow even more insulation into the soffit area but for now I pretty happy with the results.
On 2/19/2014 8:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, that does sound miserable. I sure don't enjoy the idea of doing such work.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yes, yes, and yes.
There is no standing in my attic, even in the main section. I wore a hat to keep my head from getting scratched by the roofing nails as I reached as far as I could down the rafter bays to staple only the top of the baffles. My house has those slanted ceilings in the bedrooms. You know, the kind of house where the exterior walls are shorter than the interior ones because of the roof line. That means that there is very little room to work at the outside edges of the attic. Very hard to retrofit with the baffles.
On 2/19/2014 9:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My parents house has those low ceilings. I never did like that while I lived there, but no one asked until now. Come to think of it, no one asked here, either.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Either fix it right (proper insulation etc) or install heat tape. Doesn't have to run full time (terribly expensive if you do)
On 2/19/2014 5:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Dad paid to have some heat tape installed in the back of the house. And I turned that on, this afternoon. Not sure when to turn it back off. Well, turn it on when there are ice dams, or snow. Mom's electric bill just took a spike up. Well, at least we're not running the 1500 watt space heater in the cellar at the moment.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The electric cost is a lot less than the cost of repairing the roof where the claw hammer or hatchet goes through the roof trying to break the ice.

Many years ago I had a huge ice dam problem. It was leaking into the house above the window and door frames. A buddy of mine had a truck with a water heater that he used for carpet cleaning in the warmer months. He wanted to see if he start a business of clearing ice dams with a long hose and high pressure nozzle, so he offered to try it in my house.
He cut the ice dams with the hot water cross wise every 2 feet or so and then cut them along the top of the gutter until the chunk fell off. It worked, except for the fact that everything was covered with ice from the spraying water. My yard, my deck, the roof he was standing on, the ladders, everything.
He decided that it was way too dangerous and doubted he could get insurance for the business. It was fun, but really, really dangerous.
On 2/19/2014 8:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Used to know a guy with a "steam jenny". Puffed fuel oil fire and belched smoke, but provided good stream of super hot water. That would likely do the job, if the machine was kept warm between jobs. The carpet steamer sounds like a good off season use of the machine. I know my church has carpet steamer guys come in twice a year. They get some dirt, but not as complete as the extractor machine the church has.
Coated with ice from the water spray sounds a bit dangerous. Glad you were able to test the concept before getting a lot of contracts.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

For snow yes. For ice dams, not so much.
But you knew that.
On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:50:37 -0500, Stormin Mormon

OT, but good. My ex-girlfriend, who ran a business by herself and is usually very competent, would vacuum her carpets every week or so. Finally her new boyfriend pointed out that the belt that runs the brush in her vacuum was broken (and probably had been for months or years) and she was barely getting any of the dirt out. She thought that was so funny.
On 2/19/2014 10:07 PM, micky wrote:

That really sucked for her. o_O
TDD

Did you belt her good?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Lucas should make vacuum cleaners. With their record it would be their only product that didn't suck - - - -
On 2/20/2014 1:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

> their record it would be their

Not many Americans will get the subtle humor, there.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/20/2014 12:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You mean the technology disease Lucasitis? ^_^
TDD
On 2/19/2014 11:07 PM, micky wrote:

I had similar moment, got a part time job helping clean a restaurant. Same deal with all the vac cleaners they had. And the electric sockets were all worn out, most of them didn't make contact.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/19/2014 8:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I can see when the ice is getting thin, and not bang as hard. Non issue.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/19/2014 05:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Actually, the ice is transmitting the force of the blow through to your roof. Your roof is taking a pounding. You might be avoiding the claw hitting it, but the "thud" still goes through. And, who doesn't get careless when they are tired, cold, and swearing up a storm? (Don't let your mom hear you. She still has "that" bar of soap at the ready.)
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 2/20/2014 1:49 PM, Todd wrote:

The pounding is spread out, and not concentrated.
With the thick ice, been wondering if a sawzall with coarse tooth blade might move ice. Likely to spray me with ice particles. Get down about an inch thick, get the rest with a torch.
--
.
Christopher A. Young