Anchor to asphalt

Hi All, I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with something. I find fancy special anchors for asphalt but I don't think something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this or have an opinion? Thanks.
On 4/9/2016 8:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

You should really ask the AHJ/building inspector when you get your construction permit.

Does Dick have a permit for using his Dick?
On 04/09/2016 08:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

A gentleman always gets a "permit" from the Authority Having Jurisdiction, if you know what I mean.

Get some 1/2" diameter rebar. Cut 12" or 16" pieces. Sharpen one end with a grinder. Drill 9/16" holes in base 2x4, and drive them in. I'd suggest *treated* 2x4 for base. You might silicone around the outside of the walls to keep water from running under them.
I've seen a lot of those huge party tents set up on asphalt. They just drive the large tent stakes right into it. (But they use a powered driver).
On 04/09/2016 7:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

I'd not trust LN for anything long-term more than as simply a mastic layer. Drive a long spike or three thru the baseplate will be enough to just stop lateral movement for an infill, non-structural wall.
<http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite-3-8-in-x-10-in-Galvanized-Steel-Spike-Nails-50-lb-Pack-10HGSPK/100124434> there are also 12" or use a bar...I'm sure they'll have 'em in open lots besides bulk pack, or Ace Hardware or somebody will...

On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 10:02:02 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

I'd agree with the big nails. And while he says Liquid Nails, I would take that to really mean one of the construction adhesive products and I'd find one that is suited for outdoor, wet locations, etc. That stuff is really strong.
On 04/09/2016 9:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I suppose some of the latter products will last; I know what he means but my experience (all _quite_ dated, granted) is that they didn't retain their adhesive qualities over time -- once hardened after a few years the joint was brittle and either fractured or one surface or the other simply failed at the joint.

On 4/9/2016 8:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Thanks for all the information. When I get back from vacation, I'll start on this project. I'll try to post the results. Thanks again.
Art Todesco posted for all of us...

Good luck with that. Asphalt does not have the properties (uplift) to perform the service you want. Look at parking bumpers rebared to asphalt and see the movement.
Asphalt is not concrete, Asphalt is stone in a bituminous mixture laid upon a stone base to resist downward pressure. Potholes form when the seal is broken and water enters and freezes blowing it apart. If you really want it to resist uplift you will have to drive expansion or screw anchors deep into the soil.
--
Tekkie

On 4/11/2016 3:03 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Well, true, but this is only a storage closet, essentially. No one will be driving into the walls and hitting it. I figured just "gluing" the footer to the asphalt should be good enough, however, it would be good to pin it so it can't slide. So, I'll probably use a urethane product as a glue and pin it with some long spike-like nails. I don't think there is too much heaving due to weather in western NC, although there might be some.
There is no way glue will work. You have to spike it.
But! I know you're going to ignore this but do so at your peril.
Whether you pull a permit or not you are required to call the utility locat ion service first. If you don't, and you hit some line you didn't know was there, you're screwed even if you're not hurt. Of course if you hit a pow er line or gas line you may be more than screwed.
Whatever you put in will have your name on it for years. Do it right.

Didn't I just say that! I guess I'll say it again (copied and pasted from my previous post):