Analog clock...setting time

Yes, I've got one from the '50s where it screws the chimes up if turned backwards (although there doesn't appear to be anything in the mechanism that can actually suffer damage as a result). If turned forwards it'll stay in sync, so long as I stop on every quarter hour for the chimes.

As there's no calendar functionality it's usually easier just to stop and restart when it next shows the correct time.

Thankfully the mainspring will run for about a week, so it doesn't need winding that often...

Reply to
Jules

I just stop the clock for 1 hour, then re-start it. No worries.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Huh? I never would have guessed. Suppose I got caught up in the "never turn a clock backwards thing. My octagon clock doesn't like being turned backwards. It actually jambs and messes up the sync between the long and short hands. It's a New Haven clock from ~ 1870's but unfortunately the entire clock mechanism had been replaced while or before my grandparents owned it.

Reply to
Tony

Van Chocstraw wrote in news:7omdnULtzI6NKnDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I have a sun dial. The arm that has a bolt to adjust the time.

Reply to
Fay

Mine is on the deck. I just turn the house a few degrees.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski