Analog clock...setting time

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Some mechanical clocks were so cheaply built that you risk damage trying to manually adjust the time in either direction. In the fall it's much easier to adjust for the change by stopping the clock for one hour rather than the 11 or 23 hours needed in the spring.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun 01 Nov 2009 08:49:47a, told us...

It depends entirely on the clock. I have a collection of ~25 vintage and antique clocks. Most can be turned in either direction. Half a dozen can only be turned forward. Of those that can only be turned forward, several literally cannot be turned backwards, as the hands won't move. Of the others, it puts the chimes out of sync with the time the hands are displaying.
You just have to know your clock.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

✖
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 06:10:21 +0000, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Yes, I've got one from the '50s where it screws the chimes up if turned backwards (although there doesn't appear to be anything in the mechanism that can actually suffer damage as a result). If turned forwards it'll stay in sync, so long as I stop on every quarter hour for the chimes.
As there's no calendar functionality it's usually easier just to stop and restart when it next shows the correct time.
Thankfully the mainspring will run for about a week, so it doesn't need winding that often...
Add pictures here
✖

Why bother turning them at all. If in doubt, just stop them for an hour and next spring, turn them ahead.
Bob-tx
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 1, 10:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I just stop the clock for 1 hour, then re-start it. No worries.
Mike
Add pictures here
✖