An opinion on gun control

Page 5 of 6
This thread has now surpassed the 305 post mark.
Does anyone in here feel that further discussion/argument is going to resolve this issue?
Put guns in the same bag as abortion and capital punishment. It's a problem with no good solution. And, feeble minds like ours aren't going to find a solution either.
Hopefully, in future, technology will provide some solution that we can all live with.
PS: The 2012 Nobel Prize in Medicine when to two doctors who were able to produce stem cells from fully differentiated adult cells. This, it is hoped, will end up paving the way to produce stem cells for treating a myriad of medical problems like spinal cord injuries without having to go through that "life begins at conception, and therefore stem cells are people" road block that caused problems for researchers in this field up until now. The problem isn't that researchers as so ethical that they feel that using a stem cell to do anything except create a new life is unethical, it's because abortion is a political football and no politician wants to commit to providing money and grants to researchers who are doing work that the anti-abortionists disapprove of. They're too big a voting block. So, there's no money for research unless you can get around the "using stem cells to repair spinal cords is denying the stem cell the potential of becoming a human being, and that smells just like abortion." argument put forward by the anti-abortionists. They can't use that argument is the stem cell was previously a blood cell.
--
nestork

On 12-27-2012 11:07, nestork wrote:

But the other side dare not let down their guard against their mortal enemies. Allowing anyone to talk about adult stem cells carries a risk, however slight, of appearing to be willing to negotiate with the anti-choice terrorists.
So both sides continue to act like some of us are doing here.
--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.

Don't fret. Research is going on elsewhere. These things will be discovered.
On Saturday, December 22, 2012 8:25:22 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Time to get rid of all guns and the second ammendment too.
On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:12:18 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@juno.com"

Troll score: 0/10

I got a good idea. Why don't you go there and check it out. ( and you can bring guns with you <grin> )

I bet the US astronauts were carrying guns. Afraid they might meet up with an alien.

Traditional British murder weapon. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/14/jail-brothers-burglar-cricket-bat
I myself have a nullah nulla. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nulla_nulla Purpose designed to kill.
On 12/29/2012 12:00 PM, harry wrote:

That story is proof positive that the inmates are running the asylum in The U.K., victim fights back and is criminally prosecuted. I'll bet that Brits will some day be imprisoned for killing rats and mice. The violent killing of vermin will no longer be tolerated in civilized society. ^_^

So you admit to owning an assault weapon. ^_^
TDD

The supposition is it would be one nobody was supposed to know about, ours or theirs. The reality is they did bring the Hubble into the cargo bay and fix it. That may have been the most useful thing the Shuttle ever did.
Harry is right that the shuttle had a 40% failure rate and it sucked most of the money out of the NASA budget, stifling further rocket development and putting us where we are today. (riding with the Ruskies)

Would the International Space Station have been possible without the Shuttle? I haven't heard much about it lately.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:47:33 -0600, Dean Hoffman

As much as I like the idea of Hubble and all the pretty pictures, it could have been replaced with the money spent on repairing it. It really hasn't had a great ROI.

Has the ISS done anything useful in its life, other than give the Shuttle some place to go?
On Dec 31, 2:14am, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

They have done a lot of experimentation only possible in zero G.
On 12/31/2012 3:18 AM, harry wrote:

NASA couldn't get Barbarella so a few married couples were sent up for coitus experiments. O_o
TDD
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:56:00 -0600, The Daring Dufas

If only Jane had stuck to scripts she could do justice...

One interesting bit from the Hubble. When the mirror was out of whack, the nerd put together an algorithm to correct for it that cleared things up quite a bit. Someone (I think it was at GE, but don't remember for sure), found out about it and adapted it to things like mammograms and CT scans, etc. and greatly cleared those up, also.

That wasn't anything new. Image correction has been going on for a *long* time. Indeed, that's how compound telescopes are designed in the first place.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:47:33 -0600, Dean Hoffman

I can't imagine why not, particularly if we had spent our money on a good cheap heavy lift vehicle instead of nursing the shuttle along a decade too long. They should have started migrating away from that hog after Challenger.
On Dec 31, 3:25am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Don't worry.We are designing a new engine in the UK that will solve the problem.

Failure is not talked about in America. I think there is an American up there right now. The US finds it cheaper to pay the Russians than do their own thing.