An opinion on gun control

Page 3 of 6

Rubbish. You Have had gun massacres from day one in The USA. I assume you have run out of indians and now must massacre one another. You have been massacring people in other countries, even Canadians in 1812. It's a national problem as well as a personal problem.
A bit like the Roman empire. Collapsing in violence, depravity and corruption.
Rubbish. You Have had gun massacres from day one in The USA. I assume you have run out of indians and now must massacre one another. You have been massacring people in other countries, even Canadians in 1812. It's a national problem as well as a personal problem.
A bit like the Roman empire. Collapsing in violence, depravity and corruption.
...and yet again, the UK is ranked number two in world crime and you're still envious of US. LMFAO!

The basic answer is because the second amendment says it's a right that is not to be infringed. Every single objection you make about guns can be easily made about the first amendment right to free speech. We could solve a good many of our problems if we could just stop people from telling other people stuff we don't want other people to know, or that the gvt doesn't want the people to know. We could stop copycat killings by requiring the MEDIA to be gvt licensed and for all their stories to be passed thru a gvt censor to make sure nothing "bad" gets published. This whole thing is so stupid it's beyond understanding. WE HAVE THE RIGHT. If you don't like it then try to get the constitution changed.

Home Guy wrote:

Nope. In my state every commercial establishment, by state law, is a "gun friendly" zone, unless the owner posts a sign declaring concealed weapons prohibited.
Best legal thinking is to post no sign at all, either prohibiting or encouraging gun carry. Here's why. If you post a "no guns" sign, you are implicitly taking responsibility for your patrons. If a person who normally carrys a gun leaves his in the car, trusting you to protect him, and a bad thing happens, YOU, the owner, will be hit by such legal damage claims, you'll be reduced to operating a hot-dog cart. Conversely, if you erect a sign encouraging gun carry and something goes amiss, you'll be accused of encouraging the violence by the welcoming sign.
No, the best legal thinking is no sign or policy at all.

In my state less than 1% of the publically available enterprises. In my state, we can carry a firearm into the state Capitol, the governor's office, and, by law, any entity owned or leased by any agency of government except schools. These include libraries, water treatment plants, city hall, and everything else a city, county, mosquito control district, etc. Further, this includes public hospitals.

Could be because of our 2nd Amendment which says "... the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Note that amendment does not include toasters.

Think of it more like an area/country inhabited by gun nuts is a danger to the surrounding area/whole world.
Since the Connecticut massacre, 500 more Americans have died by gunshot. By accident or design. Happy Christmas for a lot of people.
What a nation of whinging cowards you are.
wrote: Think of it more like an area/country inhabited by gun nuts is a danger to the surrounding area/whole world.
Since the Connecticut massacre, 500 more Americans have died by gunshot. By accident or design. Happy Christmas for a lot of people.
What a nation of whinging cowards you are.
...and yet again, the UK is ranked number two in world crime and here you are still envious of US. LMFAO!
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 01:11:21 -0800 (PST), harry

After Newtown, another 20 kids were killed in cars by the following Tuesday but I don't see anyone banning cars. It didn't even make the news
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No, but what you do see is this:
1) To legally drive a car, you must have a valid driver's license. That alone doesn't stop someone from getting in a car and driving it, but police with probable-cause can stop any car and ask to see if the driver is licensed. There will be legal and financial consequences if the driver is not licensed. These consequences will be significant if property dammage, injury or death of a person is involved.
2) To operate a motor vehicle, the vehicle must be insured against property dammage and personal injury. That alone doesn't stop someone from getting in a car and driving it, but police with probable-cause can stop any car and ask to see if the car is insured. There will be legal and financial consequences if the car is not insured. These consequences will be significant if property dammage, injury or death of a person is involved.
3) The safety of cars, like many consumer products, are constantly being improved with the application of technology and gov't mandates. The design of the occupant compartment, air bags, ABS brakes, stability control, etc.
4) If an injury or death happens as a result of some deficiency or fault in a consumer product (such as a car), the manufacturer can be held liable by a court of law.
Now tell me if any of the above applies to personal firearms, their owners, and the companies that make them.

A person who shoots someone could be sued. Anyone who buys a machine gun or wants to carry a gun jumps through hoops that make a driver's license trivial, in fact you usually need a driver's license or other state issued ID to buy a gun from a dealer.
Certainly if you buy a gun on the street, there is no real regulation but there is also a very brisk market in stolen cars. It is probably the most stolen thing in the US by dollar amount.
Why is that important to this discussion? In the last 2 shooting, the guns were stolen, not purchased by the shooter. In the drug culture, where most of the murders occur, virtually all of the guns are stolen or bought in the black market. If you think a ban would stop that, just think about what these people do for a living, smuggle and sell tons of stuff from South America. That is a place that the US and the Soviets has flooded with real automatic weapons (not the sanitized SAs we have here). Do we really want them to look there for their guns?

A significant number of individuals still drive without licenses, training or testing. If you check you'll find that driving is not a protected right under US law.

Uninsured motorist are and have been a significant problem for years.

I have an 1853(?) muzzel loader. There have been signifant improvements in that technology. (hint there is no safty) I also have a WWII M1 which likewise has had signifant improvements in subsiquent designs. There is a safty but you can get a bad case of M1 thumb if you're not paying attention.

That liability still applies what does not apply in either case is when the appliance is operated in accordance with the intended purpose. If a car you are operating runs over someone's foot you can be sued as can the car manufacture. The case against you will survive summery the case against the car manufacture won't.

Just did.
On Dec 23, 3:54pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You don't see because you are stupid.
The ones killed in cars was by accident. Newtown was deliberate.
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 00:05:05 -0800 (PST), harry

Are the kids any less dead?
On Dec 24, 4:35pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And which is the most culpable?
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:09:43 -0800 (PST), harry

Obviously you think the kids murdered are more "culpable". You are one sick puppy, harry.

<snip>
Oh, good grief. You really are illiterate. It means that you cannot draw any conclusions (Duh!). The results may be positive, neutral, or negative but you can't come to any conclusions. However, the outcome *MIGHT BE* harmful.
AC is perfectly correct. You're wrong (nothing new). QED.
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:03:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

Are you that illiterate. Get another dictionary so even you can understand it !!

IKWYABWAI is not a rational argument, not that it surprises anyone here.

You *are* an idiot. A stubborn one but an idiot, nonetheless.

We were on the verge of winning it until Congress intervened. See a link?

It ended. Poverty won.
I'm one person who questions the notion that anyone who takes a gun and kills a whole bunch of people, is, by definition, mentally ill.
The guy that shot up the movie theatre in Aurora, Colorado was a PhD student for crying out loud. He certainly had enough gray stuff between his ears, and he knew the difference between right and wrong.
Doing something horrible does not automatically mean that person is crazy. Perfectly level headed people can decide to throw their life away if they feel their life is so screwed up that it's not salvagable. It's a stupid decision, it's desperation, but it's not mental illness.
So, if the NRA wants the US Government to put together a list of mentally ill people, what about everyone who thinks their life has been wasted and that they're a failure. We need to make a list of those people to make sure they never get their hands on a gun, too.
--
nestork