An idiot and his table saw...

Page 8 of 8
In article < snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-

So there's more to the story than was in the trial transcript?

So?
McD had committed no action for which they should "accept responsibility".

Throwing out the jury system is not the solution. Throwing out the ability of the lawyers to ensure that nobody with a brain ever sits on a jury is the solution.
Add pictures here
âś–

They certainly did. The basic facts:
McDonald’s Operations Manual required the franchisee to hold its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit;
Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns (the worst kind of burn) in three to seven seconds;
The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and bio- mechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor in chief of the leading scholarly publication in the specialty, the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation;
McDonald’s admitted that it has known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years — the risk was brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits, to no avail;
From 1982 to 1992, McDonald’s coffee burned more than 700 people, many receiving severe burns to the genital area, perineum, inner thighs, and buttocks;
Not only men and women, but also children and infants, have been burned by McDonald’s scalding hot coffee, in some instances due to inadvertent spillage by McDonald’s employees;
McDonald’s admitted at trial that its coffee is “not fit for consumption” when sold because it causes severe scalds if spilled or drunk;
Liebeck’s treating physician testified that her injury was one of the worst scald burns he had ever seen.
McDonald’s did a survey of other coffee establishments in the area, and found that coffee at other places was between 30-40 degrees cooler.
Moreover, the Shriner’s Burn Institute in Cincinnati had published warnings to the franchise food industry that its members were unnecessarily causing serious scald burns by serving beverages above 130 degrees Fahrenheit. In refusing to grant a new trial in the case, Judge Robert Scott called McDonald’s behavior “callous.”
Pretty damning. The part where McD admitted that the coffee was not fit for consumption as served because it was so hot, is particularly interesting. As is that their coffee was 30 - 40 deg hotter than similar establishments in the area, and that was by their own survey.

I've been on juries, gone through the selection process. People get tossed for a wide variety of reasons. And the resulting jury appeared in every way as educated as the starting pool.
Add pictures here
âś–

# They certainly did. The basic facts: # # McDonald’s Operations Manual required the franchisee to hold its # coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit; # # Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns (the # worst kind of burn) in three to seven seconds;
Yes but normal sane people do not go around putting cups of hot coffee between their legs in a car There is no reason for Macdonals to be responsible for THAT STUPID ACTION (Except in the minds of children - who are not responsible)
# # The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and bio- # mechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this # risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on # burns, the editor in chief of the leading scholarly publication in the # specialty, the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation;
And who defined the Chairman of the Dept of Mech Eng. at the U of Texas as an arbiter of what is acceptable or unacceptable harm ?
# #McDonald’s admitted that it has known about the risk of serious burns # from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years — the risk was # brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits, to # no avail;
And ?
Repeating yourself like a parrot just makes you a parrot
Add pictures here
âś–
says...

Their manual is in accordance with the ANSI standard for coffee brewing and with the standards of the Specialty Coffee Association of America. The simple fact is that certain kinds of food are hot enough to harm you.

And when did he become an expert on coffee?

Add pictures here
âś–

The jury heard ALL the evidence. Including McDonalds own survey that showed it's competitors were serving coffee that is 30 -40 deg cooler. And McD own admission at trial that the coffee, as served was unfit for human consumption. The jury decided. You and McD lost. Live with it.
Add pictures here
âś–
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:17:02 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

You're claiming that juries always come to the correct conclusion? Amazing!
"...were serving coffee that is 30 -40 deg cooler." False. At that time Dunkin' Donuts was serving coffee at 180F +/- 3F.
Add pictures here
âś–

Hopefully, just the block and the blade. The entire machine is going to need a checking over, since whatever force isn't dissipated by crushing the block is going to absorbed by the parts it attaches to. Looks like the whole saw jumps in that demo.
OTOH, $20,000 for an ER visit will buy you one hell of a nice saw.
Add pictures here
âś–

Good luck trying to dado with that.
--

-MIKE-

âś–
On 12/3/2012 3:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

One of my all time favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lozkT1zrIU

Add pictures here
âś–

Does he lose any appendages? I had a close call a few weeks ago, and I don't want to watch anything gory. Looking down into the hole in the back of my hand and seeing blood vessels and white tendons will hold me for a good while.
BTW, scar healing nicely. Three weeks after accident, I had a pinpoint site in my knuckle that wouldn't heal, and was festering. Got a pliers shaped nail cutter, applied some ice, cut out a divot of flesh, and exposed the black end of something. Thought it was a sliver. Needle wouldn't get it. Went in with the sharp points of the clippers, and pulled out a 3/4" piece of wire brush. Feels fine now, and is almost all healed.
Steve
Add pictures here
âś–
The fellow is discussing kickback, with a table saw. He binds the wood, deliberately. The wood and the pusher device get thrown, no surprise. The fellow has a very close near miss. No blood, no injury to his physical form. Spooks him and the viewers.
Sorry to hear that you were injured. Some pharmacies sell triple antibiotic with pain control. Praxamine works for some people, might be of some help for you. I've also seen lidocaine cream sold on the internet, might help also. I'm sure you're more comfortable without that piece of wire.