An extra doorbell ringer.

Page 2 of 2

wow you got some replies.. you need to run 2 or 3 wire (depending on if you have1 or 2 doorbell buttons.) from your chime to your new (additional) location. one wire for each frnt/xfmer/rear then hook the wires up the same in your new chime.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

All you need to do is confirm that the 3-wire cable does indeed go from the transformer directly up to the existing bell. If it does, the unused Red wire can "return" the bell signal down to the baasement with no rewiring.
Jim

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Here's a couple of links to some sites about doorbell wiring (watch for wrap):
http://www.forteelectric.com/Doorbell.html
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homewiringusa/2002/maindwelling/doorbell/index.htm
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2installadoorbell
Jerry
on 8/22/2007 12:18 PM Jerry said the following:

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homewiringusa/2002/maindwelling/doorbell/index.htm
Thanks.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Connect the red unused wire to the wire that comes from the switch to the old ringer. The basement end of that wire will go to the new ringer. The return wire from the new ringer will then go to a transformer tap. If you get the wrong transformer tap it won't ring. What I mean is that it will not short out anything.
Interesting to find out how many people have no clue how a simple door bell works, and they offer help! If the OP is not confused now, he never will be:)
Al