An Epoxy Glue that Keeps After Opening?

I need a small amount of epoxy glue every 3-6 months. The problem is the last one I bought usually drys out by the time I need it again So, I have to buy the tubes again when I need it. Is there any way to buy this stuff that I can reuse it for a year or so?

Reply to
jim evans

I usually use a set of tubes for 4-6 years without problem. Are you closing them up right, and not switching caps?

Reply to
Bob F

I've never had that problem. I have a 4 year old gallon of epoxy and it is just fine (aside from being a little brown). Maybe don't buy the cheapest one you can find.

Reply to
jack

I use PC-70 which I buy in two 4-oz cans, made like paint cans with lips and all that, and I've never hard it go bad. Some times it takes a couple years to use it up, but I think it's gone 5 years.

It's getting hard to find that size, for some stupid reason, so I bought the 4x1 inch cardboard tube, and that lasted fine too.

There is also PC-11 which is white instead of grey. PC-70 is fantastic, sticks to almost anything including glass, malleable before it hardens, can tolerate temperatures at least 200 degrees, waterproof and better than that can be applied to a leaking pipe while it's dripping and it will still harden waterproof (I had to keep pushing the stuff up to the pipe for a few minutes iuntil it got hard.) PC

11 is probably just as good.

So I'm wondering if you let any of part A touch B. I use separate screwdrivers or popsicle sticks to spoon out the glue, and I use one of them to mix the stuff, and never bring it anywhere near the cans after that. It takes 50-50 to get the best mix, but I think even a tiny bit could ruin the whole other can.

I also buy epoxy glues in a double syringe. I squeeze the stuff out and put the cap back on before i start to mix the two. I've had a couple tubes go bad, but it's rare, and the other times it can take years before I finish a whole syringe worth. I've used the 60 minute glue, the 5 minute glue, and I tried the 1 minute iirc glue. I haven't checked if the last one is still good, but I expect it is.

I used to use toothpaste style tubes. The syrringe is probably more expensive but I'm usually saving lots of money when I glue something, a few more pennies on glue is well worth it

What brands have you been using?

Reply to
mm

Epoxy does not dry out. You must be mistaking it for a glue which contains solvent. Epoxies come in 2 parts which consist of epoxy and hardener. Easiest to use is the syringe type that meters out exact amounts of components and when sealed properly will last for years.

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote in news:PZ-dnR7q_NZPU- bVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I have epoxy tubes that are over 15 yrs old,still good. Even J-B Weld lasts for years.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have a couple tubes of JB Weld that I've been using for years. Replace the cap after each use.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And don't accidentally SWITCH the caps!!!

Reply to
salty

Just wanted to add my favorite 5 min epoxy to the conversation. Fastweld 10 made by Ciba, seems to be relabeled with other brand names, but called Fastweld 10. My first 9oz tubes lastd over 15 years. I purchased my second set of tubes about 3 years ago.

3rd picture down. This may or may not be the best price, just google Fastweld 10. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Open one tube, close one tube. Open other tube. Close other tube. There is no reason to have both caps off at same time. I've only got three hands, you know!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yet, people do exactly that, and then complain that the epoxy hardened in the tube.

Reply to
salty

I'm careful about not switching caps on the tubes, but I also keep all my epoxies in the kitchen freezer until I need to use them. I've got some (not cheap) electrically conductive epoxy in our freezer which has to be at least 15 years old which still works great when needed.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I keep film, batteries, medicine, candles, and some glues in the refrigerator.

I have a new camera and I'm also keeping my digits in the fridge. Each one is small but there are billions of them.

I'm looking for another fridge to keep my food in.

Reply to
mm

You know what's sad, is that I do believe you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon