An electrical grease for a light bulb?

It obviously wasn't and isn't a reliable source, since the statement isn't true.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You are emphatically and totally WRONG.

There are a wide variety of products labled as "vaseline" that are not pure petroleum jelly.

Who are you hoping to kill with your ignorance?

Reply to
Mys Terry

Isn't that called picking your nose? :)

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Some products sold and labeled as "Vaseline" can and will produce carbon particles when heated. FACT

Some products sold and labled as "Vaseline" may be either acidic or caustic. FACT

George Cawthon may be belligerent, but he's also often incorrect. Ask him for independant cites that can be checked when he makes claims.

Reply to
Mys Terry

"Teh Suck" wrote in news:qUwLf.4273$ snipped-for-privacy@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com:

Sounds like a good joke on the SWMBO;send her to the store for "light bulb grease".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

What statement are you talking about? What source are you saying is not reliable?

In any case the statements I referred to have not been proven wrong any more than the idea that Vaseline is safe for the indicated use has been proven right. Both appear to be a matter of opinion and memory (which at least in my case is subject to imperfections.

I will stick with the proper product, it's cheap and I keep some in my garage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And you don't know that Vaseline is a tradename owned by Chesebrough-Pond's? Yes under the tradename there are many products including lip balm and various lotions. But "Vaseline" alone is generally considered to mean petroleum jelly. Just like "thermos" is used to mean any brand of vacuum bottle.

But just for you, be sure if it the container says "Vaseline" or any other trade name that it also says petroleum jelly or petrolatum. Wouldn't want you putting an electrically conductive (or is it?) product like Vaseline Intensive Care (a lotion) on your lightbulbs.

Bye-bye!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I'm not belligerent, I'm happy for you! ;)

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Some products sold and labeled as "Vaseline" can and will produce carbon particles when heated. FACT

Some products sold and labled as "Vaseline" may be either acidic or caustic. FACT

George Cawthon may be belligerent, but he's also often incorrect. Ask him for independant cites that can be checked when he makes claims.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Some products sold and labeled as "Vaseline" can and will produce carbon particles when heated. FACT

Some products sold and labled as "Vaseline" may be either acidic or caustic. FACT

George Cawthon may be belligerent, but he's also often incorrect. Ask him for independant cites that can be checked when he makes claims.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Calling this a FACT is bending the truth a bit. You should be a bit more specific. Pure vaseline, known as petrolatum is neither acidic or basic on the normal acidity or basicity scales we are talking about here. It is a mixture of high flashpoint aliphatic hydrocarbons. Now for many commercial applications, the term vaseline is often used with other descriptive words or phrases. Those other words represent materials added to petrolatum which may impart acidity, bascity, or other desirable properties to the petrolatumvaseline base. If the petrolatum itself is modified by oxidation or has not been subjected to to strict quality control, then as an impure material, it may have a small amount of low acidity materia or aromatic hydrocarbons present, but this is no longer considered pure vaseline/petrolatum.

Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

Gary Dyrkacz

..

I believe that Mys Terry was very clean with the phrase "Some products sold and labled as 'Vaseline'.."

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

One time a thing occured to me What's real, and what's for sale? Blew a kiss and tried to take it home

It isn't you, isn't me Search for things that you can't see Going blind, out of reach Somewhere in the vaseline

Two times and it has rendered me Punch drunk and without bail Think I'd be safer all alone Flys in the vasoline we are Sometimes it blows my mind Keep getting stuck here all the time

You'll see the look and you'll see the lies You'll eat the lies, and you will.

It isn't you, isn't me Search for things that you can't see Going blind, out of reach Somewhere in the vasoline.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Teh Suck posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I use a product called 'Bulb Grease" made by ITW/Devcon only place around here that carries it is Sears Hardware.

Reply to
Tekkie®