An agreement should be a freaking AGREEMENT!

They might make a deal to shovel snow for a season, take a deposit and when they find the price of the coke habit has gone up they demand more money up front. A local "day labor" office can provide "labor" from ex-cons, etc... and even provide worker's compensation - you pay the office and they pay the labor (a pay as it snows plan).

I agree with the OP... it prolly would be different it a husband or boy friend would of made the deal. Not to say the results would have been any better, though!

Oren

oren

I've never had a problem. I'm happy to give another payment as a materials draw, but only AFTER the materials have been delivered.

I'll NEVER give more than 15% as an initial, "hold my spot in line" deposit, and I've never had a problem finding a contractor to agree to those terms.

Reply to
Christian Fox

I guess we won't be doing any of your work....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Paying anyone up front for anything other than materials is foolish.

If someone asks for advance payment for a service, it's a big red flag that they are insolvent. If they are insolvent, there's a good chance that they will never deliver the service.

If you pay up front for materials, pay only on delivery of the materials to your property. You can always get a material list from the person you're hiring and buy them yourself.

If I'm contracting with you, and don't know you, I have to calculate my risk. You need to do the same.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Dave Balderstone" wrote

Darn good post. Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This is Turtle.

What does a Snow Shovel look like ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Dr. Hardcrab

Lesley -- women like you make me cringe.

It doesn't have anything to do with having a husband or boyfriend around. It has to do with the amount of initiative & brains you have.

If I have to pay someone to do something for me - I always get a WRITTEN contract. Duh.

Stop being helpless, and shovel your own snow. Or buy a snowblower. That's what most real grownups do. Especially living in Buffalo, with all that lake-effect snow.

I don't have a husband or boyfriend, and I manage very well. I shovel my own snow, cut my own grass, fix my own plumbing, etc etc. These aren't mystical skills that only men have. Women can learn them too.

Sheesh -- evidence of the dumbing-down of our school system.

Reply to
LJ