An abandoned car - what to do?

Page 2 of 2

David ..are you the David mantel from middle Georgia area?
Before you do anything anyone else here has suggested, talk to your local department of motor vehicles. They deal with this all the time.
In my area (VA), you could:
1. Perform a title search at the DMV. 2. Send a registered letter to the owners. 3. Wait a specified amount of time for them to move it or ignore you. 4. Auction it off to the highest bidder. 5. Fill out the proper form and obtain the title.
Or:
Write up an explanation of how you came to posess the vehicle and how the previous owners have abandoned it, attach copies documenting the sale of the property it sits on, and submit an affidavit in lieu of title to the DMV. If the DMV manager agrees, then you get a title.
I've done both successfully.
-rev
miamicuse wrote:

On 21 Jun 2006 06:27:18 -0700, "The Reverend Natural Light"
I don't know if they still have registered letters, but if so, there is no difference between a registered letter and a certified letter, except the first costs more and includes insurance on the contents. But the letter in question will just be a letter and will no insurable value. So use certified mail.
A lot of people recommend registered when it's not needed.
I was a mailman in the 60's for one summer, including training.

So, what is the proper ammunition one should use when going on a postal rampage? <sick-grin>
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:46:48 GMT, Grumman-581

My postal carrier did a huge amount of damage with a sore wrist and a workman's comp attorney.
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:43:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I was a mailman and I was also a worker's comp agent (or some such title) for the federal government, most of whose employees work for the post office. I think that was a whole year. It was a frustrating job. We were voted several years in a row, by Congressional staffers, the agency that was farthest behind in its work. When most agencies work on Congressional requests within 2 or 3 days, it took us weeks. But that was 30 years ago
From one of the David Letterman Top 10 Lists, discussing what the United States Postal Service would do with the increased income from the latest postage increase:
"More ammo, more ammo, more ammo."
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:09:08 -0400, "miamicuse"

You claim it as abandonded property, have a locksmith make a key, and sell it for $1000.
Goedjn wrote:

Yeah, and how do you get the title to it? The advice Joey gave made the most sense. I'd send a registered letter to the owner and give them 2 weeks to get it out of there. Then I'd contact a tow company. It's very likely they will tow it, impound it and if no one shows up to claim it, they generally have the authority to sell it.

Depends on where the property is. First order of business is to call the local police business line and ask them if they know the standard (local) process, and if not, who would.
Problem, the registered address of the owner is probably still the house the OP now owns where the car is.

there are procedures for claiming abandoned items left on your property.A friend of mine had to go through this after he rented a parcel of land to someone and they moved off abandoning a mobile home and several vehicles.If you want the van you can try to claim it.If you do not want the van...call a tow truck.

People rarely abandon working vehicles. Might make a good charitable donation if proof of ownership can be established.
The solution is as easy as calling the police non emergency number and asking. In CA you could refer to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch22.pdf your state probably has similar online.
In CA any cop can ticket for removal even from private property if it appears abandoned. The registered owner is financially responsible for the cost of abatement even if that owner thought they sold it but the third party did not register. Even without plates they will use the VIN.
You probably have a choice of having it removed and forgetting about it or taking ownership which will involve paperwork, inspections and associated fees and unpaid back registration fees.
miamicuse wrote:

Just out of curiosity, are we talking about a 15 year old junker or a relatively new vehicle with some value? I would assume the first?
Dan

You had a closing attorney. That is the person to ask.
Why didn't you know the car was there?
I purchased a house in 1971 from an estate. The heir lived in CA and wanted the house sold. It was completely furnished. I sold most of the contents to antique dealers. There was a 1949 Desoto in the gargage. Because I had inspected the property, I knew all of this in advance and my closing attorney made sure I had title to "all properties not removed." I gave the car to one of my brothers who refurbished it and held it until 1989 when he sold it. My share of the proceeds was a case of Chevis Regal and a case of Drambuie.
Dick

dealing
sitting
happens
yard?
Good question. The house was vacated by the seller and later on rented. When I purchased it there is a tenant. I naturally assumed that it's his car and never questioned otherwise. It is not until recently when the tenant informed me that the van has a citation on the windshield that I asked him "this is not your van?" and he replied "no."
MC

Try a certified letter rather than email.
Banty