Amperage for ONE MILLION Christmas lights

A local park is advertising they are running just over one million lights in their display. Most are the miniature type, but there are some of the outdoor C9 bulbs (probably 3000 of them), and about 20 flood bulbs. (100 watt) Plus some animation motors. I'm mathematically challenged.... Can anyone come up with some sort of amperage to run all of this. I'm just trying to figure out what it takes to run this display that covers about 5 acres. (for the heck of it) Very nice display !
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote in

Isn't there a website that answers questions like this? answer.com or something like that.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I doubt it, because it depends on the number of lights. This is just a fun topic anyhow.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Not exact since you don't know how many lamps of what size are used. If they were all average miniature lights that would be over 500,000 watts or over 4,000 amps on 120V.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

On my street, that would be about $75 and hour to operate.
wrote in message

At this display they get $12 to $15 per car ! http://www.brightnights.org/information/index.html
Bill
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:25:18 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

4KA = 500KW with 125V. 4KA = 480KW with 120V.
I used 120 since that's what I actually measured at my house.

Mark Lloyd

I'm sure the people paying the electric bills could find out what their displays used in addition to the normal usage.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I agree this is sort of a guess because the strings are probably different lengths and all, but yes, they are the average mini lights except for those C9s and floods and a few other things. I was mainly asking about the mini lights. The rest is pretty easy to figure. That's a lot of watts !!! I'd hate to pay their elec bill.
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:38:08 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

The miniature lights are usually in series on 50 bulbs. A series takes about 200mA. That would mean 250 lights per amp, so 1 million miniature lights would use 4KA (4,000A) or 480KW (480,000W).
Or course it would be more with C9 or other lights too.
According to my measurements (I don't have nearly that many lights, but do have enough to need to consider electrical load) a string (25) of C9 lights uses about 1.5A (180W). The lighted animated (head moves up & down) deer I have (40-inch doe, 48-inch buck) use around .6A (72W) each.
Incandescent lights use somewhat more current when starting.
Extension cords claim 13A, but can overheat if current exceeds 10 or 11A.
BTW, I have pictures of my lights at http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com/winter.html . I don't have this year's pictures yet (but expect to have them soon). This year, they will look similar to last year's, but with a few more.

Mark Lloyd