Americans come from all over the US to loot Okla. after tornadoes

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:33:50 +0200, nestork

Canned good and dry goods are probably OK for another 2 to 5 years.

There is. It is called proper paperwork. Custom declarations are easy enough to fill out. Thee were some well intentioned people that just lacked the knowledge of international shipments. I'd lay some of the blame on the driver too, if he has ever crossed the border. Drivers don't leave until they have paperwork in hand and in commercial instances, faxed to the border ahead of time.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What sort of paperwork would a group of charity workers in France need to fill out if they wanted to send some relief supplies to Germany?
(in other words, why exactly do we still have a border between US/Canada that is more similar to that between north and south Korea?)
Home Guy;3076648 Wrote: > Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> US/Canada

No, that's a complete exageration, Home Guy. The US/Canada border is just like any other border between two friendly countries.
The North/South Korea border is a demilitarized strip of land where both sides quite literally stare at each other 24/7. Those two countries are still officially in a state of war with each other.
--
nestork

"American officials will not allow the 20,000 kilograms of food, blankets and diapers into the country until every item on board is itemized in alphabetical order and has the country of origin of every product noted.
"Because U.S. President Barack Obama hasn’t declared Moore, Okla., tornado a disaster area, the 52-foot trailer of goods is considered a commercial shipment rather than humanitarian aid."
So, apparently they did know how to handle it and were following the law. The above would also seem to imply that if Obama declared the tornado area a disaster area, then different rules, which would have allowed the shipment to proceed without the normal documentation, would have applied.
But Obama DID declare it a disaster area. Not sure on the timing or the outcome. Like many stories, the big sensational headline gets all the news and a day later, when it's fixed, you never hear about it.

Probably because if they did that, then every customs agent would be making up there own rules and excdeptions. Also, I don't buy the idea claimed in the article that all the stuff was going to go to waste. In any kind of relief effort like this, one of the first things is they don't want PERISHABLE food items, for all the associated problems. So, I'm having a hard time imagining a trailer filled with ground beef and lettuce.
 I'm sure the church group in Windsor that put that shipment

It's not the issue of who's truck it is or who's driving it. It's that there are customs rules that the border agents have to follow and it's not clear to me who can just overrule all that and say "go ahead". Except OBama of course, who apparently could have avoided it by declaring OK a disaster area sooner.

Apparently there is and that's by the president declaring it a disaster area.
As far as the scrap material from the structures that were trashed, what else was going to be done with them? I assume *someone* was eventually going to collect it and profit from it. So you're only happy if some state-sanctioned vultures get their hands on it?

Locally (north Alabama) storm debris get hauled to landfills. There's not even any attempt to salvage trees for lumber, firewood, or pulp. One of my co-workers home was hit in April 2011; he had a 4' diameter red oak tree blown down that was sawed into "small" pieces and dumped. As he is a woodworker, it bothered him to see it go to waste.
Gary
On 06/16/2013 08:05 AM, Gary Heston wrote:

Crying shame.
In December 2011 the 100+mph winds blew down thousands of trees and tree parts, mostly street tree. The ironic thing is that the residents aren't permitted to trim the street trees and the City can't afford to do a proper trimming job more frequently than SUPPOSEDLY every five years. They spent all the money on pretty street lights and fancy paving in the downtown crosswalks.
It took months for the City to clear up the mess, and there are still tree stumps still partially in the ground, but they can clear Colorado Blvd. within hours after the Rose Parade.
Now instead of actually repairing the heaved sidewalks, they just put in some blacktop to make a smooth transition between blocks -- sometimes as much as an 8-inch difference in height.
It's not only the Feds that are incompetent or corrupt...
--
Cheers, Bev

To keep guys like you out of here would be one good reason..... Why would you want a more open border with the USA? You hate everything about this country. You'd probably rather have that open border with North Korea, if it were geographically possible.