Americans are so wild

I happened to be in the library today and I noticed the current (3/09) issue of Consumer Reports. I noticed on the cover something about how Americans indulge in "risky" behavior. The article touted statistics such as 73% of those surveyed admitted that they "...sometimes use cotton swabs to clean their inner ears.."
My first thought was to recall why I stopped subscribing to that POS rag about 30 years ago. Then I felt sad.
I was sad that a nation so grandly conceived less than 300 years ago is now so narrowly defined and dominated by a risk-adverse culture that considers cleaning inner ears with Q-tips to be risky behavior. I wonder what they would call walking across the American southwest next to a covered wagon?
No wonder the Muslims are kicking our ass.
Caesar Romano wrote:

You think Q Tips are bad? I recall a commercial from a number of years ago for a toothbrush...showed it was so gentle you could brush a tomato with it. Personally, I've never found that tomato skins are particularly tender.
But wait, there's more...
They were inordinately proud of the handle; it was not only curved so that one can reach those teeth waaaaay in the back without having to bend your wrist but it was ribbed as well. Now, that's an important safety feature - just think of the havoc that could be caused if a toothbrush slipped out of your hand while brushing vigorously. Hell, a thing like that could put somebody's eye out :)
You really can't blame the manufacturer though, they figured that people that will buy multi-blade razors will buy anything.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
wrote Re Re: Americans are so wild:

And they're probably right.

hey...i like multi bladed razors.
--
C.D

dadiOH wrote:

Not that the toothbrush death rate was very high, but the curved non-slip handle was actually an engineering improvement, especially for kids and the elderly. Fine motor control of slippery objects is easy to take for granted.
But the basic point remains- most 'new and improved' item features are styling and marketing puffery. But once in a while, an actual improvement does sneak in.
-- aem sends...
dadiOH wrote:

All I use are multi-blades, they don't sell a single-blader that works nearly as well.
G. Morgan wrote:

Can't say, I generally use straight razors. Supplemented occasionally with a throw-away multi blade from my wife's cache of same. I prefer my straight razors.
One of the nicer things about the old style, single replaceable blade razors is that they were actually able to be cleaned.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

A long time ago I switched to Norelco corded from blades. The rechargable kind seem to quit after a few years. Get a fast clean shave, no blood.

I used to have the nerve to spit into the wind. I found it didn't do much for my love life so I gave up that risky behavior.
Caesar Romano wrote:

Especially since some Muslims engage in even riskier behavior... and no, I don't mean having more than one wife.

...and more than one goat.
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:33:25 -0600, Caesar Romano wrote:

The supposedly educated people at Consumer Reports don't know enough anatomy to differentiate between the inner and outer ear.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.