American standard toilet repair kit #4 and $6 style, any differences?

Hi there, thanks for reading this thread.

I have a really old American Standard brand toilet, which is a one-piece (made in 1935??) and you could see some photos of this toilet at

This toilet has been leaking for a while (slow leak to the bowl), and I'm suspecting that it is either the flush valve (the surface of the disc and the brass valve) is not fully sealed, or it might be the three tiny cone-shaped washer (something like this:
that is just too old and corrupted so the water simply sip through the washer area (or the valve area). However, in our local plumbing supply store I could only find American Standard #6 style of flush valve repair kit (see
of the #4 style (see
I wonder if these two style of repair kit are interchanable?? The diameter of the valve base of these two different styles seems to be the same. Any comments? Thanks!

Reply to
T. T.

Ah, yes, the old Am Std "rocking boat" valve. Used thru the 60's, I would guess.

a faucet washer "top hat". Does not apply.

I would be very hesitant about replacing the entire valve seat assy on that toilet. Some info here (may or may not help):

Do an experiment first. Remove the rubber disc and "glue" (silicone sealant) it to the brass seat. After it sets, fill tank and add food coloring or dye. Watch for any sign of color in the bowl after several hours. If there *is* leakage, then you can attack the valve seat assy.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim, that was a wonderful tip!

By the way, if it is NOT the seal of the flush valve (the rubber part) or the washer that was leaking, where else could it be leaking? I've looked at the toilet almost inside-out (too bad it's a one-piece toilet so I couldn't disassemble it apart), but the only place that I could identify that maybe it is leaking is the flush valve area (and the three mysterious rubber washer thingy....

any idea? Thanks!

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
T. T.

Yes, I agree with all that. If it does turn out to be leaking around the valve or the 3 seals, maybe caulk those areas. Use a hair dryer to thoroughly dry all the metal/china parts first. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Just want to report back to the forum for people who search this topic in the future. Yes the style #4 and style #6 are interchangable (given if you replace the whole set), and I finally got it all fixed. NOt too bad as a DIY project as a local plumber quote me $400 for repair!!

thanks to all of you who provided your advice, I really appreciate that

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
T. T.