American standard faucet - warranty is nonsense

I just had a bad experience with American Standard. Three years ago I remodelled both my bathrooms, and purchased two American Standard faucets. One was a high end faucet sold at the Expo, the other was a cheaper (but not cheapest) model sold at HD. Both faucets came with a supposed "lifetime warranty" on the finish. The total cost of both faucets was about $120.

After a year, the cheaper faucet began to develop permanant black stains. I didn't concern myself much, until after another year went by and the second one also began to develop the same kind of stains. At this point, I decided to take action and file a claim under the warranty.

The American Standard people were resistant right from the beginning, requiring that I submit the receipts, UPC codes, and photos of the faucets. No problem - I had saved all that stuff. So I took photos and sent them in.

After about three weeks a customer service rep called and said that American standard was not at fault, and that "some sort of chemical" had fallen on the faucets and that voids the finish warranty. I explained that this was unlikely, as the faucets were in different bathrooms, and is is not likely a chemical could damage both faucets. The rep claimed that the chemical could be soap, or possibly even cologne or hairspray! I would suspect if one were to design a faucet for bathroom use it would be resistant to this kind of stuff. But the rep insisted that the damage was caused by "abuse."

Well, I can't prove that it wasn't "abuse" according to a aribtrary definition of the term. But I did at the same time purchase a Moen faucet for the kitchen, and a symmons pressure-balancing valve for the tub/shower. Neither of those have developed such problems, so I cannot recommend American Standard to anyone. They don't stand behind their stuff, and their so called 'warranty' is meaningless.

Contrast the service I seceived from American Standard with that I received from Symmons - a difference of night and day. I called Symmons because I suspected their valve had developed a problem, and the rep diagnosed the problem over the phone in a few minutes and sent out a replacement part the same day. They definately get a thumbs up from me.

I haven't had to call for customer service on the Moen yet. But so far, the same "chemical" which has damaged both my American Standard faucets has apparently done nothing to the Moen.

BTW I did tell the American Standard rep I will be writing this review. His response was - go right ahead! I guess enough people buy their stuff that they don't care. Be aware - don't get burned by these guys. Seriously, they don't give a hoot if their customers are unhappy with their product.

Reply to
isospin

Soap????? I do hope you pursue this further just to aggravate the piss out of them if nothing else. How did this CS rep have the balls to tell you a bathroom faucet could be damaged by soap? Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What are you using for bathroom cleaner? Some products are acid and will atack the finish. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Next time buy Moen. They have a 10-year warranty and they stand by it.

Reply to
fatman985

Many warranties have conditions and exclusions that render them almost useless. We recently bought an Braun/Oral-B electric toothbrush and found that for warranty service it has to be returned "in the original packaging" (which of course was vastly oversized; if we were to keep the package for every item we owned, we'd soon need a second house in which to keep it.)

MB

On 04/11/04 08:19 pm isospin put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Diluted simple green - we use it for all out cleaning. We also use dawn dishwashing soap mixed with water sometimes.

Whatever the damaging chemical is - it hasn't damaged the Moen faucet, or the symmons valve, or the chrome towel bars in out bathroom. That is good evidence to convince me it is the product, not the cleaner.

Sundeep

Reply to
isospin

I am in the process of repairing/replacing an American Standard kitchen faucet that was installed new about 4 years ago. I wanted to replace the O rings at the base of the body unit. The O rings are easy to buy at the local hardware store. However, it is impossible to replace them because the body of the faucet is made of zinc and so one cannot get the plastic parts out. I. E. it is too corroded. I live in Arizona so the water is hard. So what started out as a simple repair has become a replacement. After reading the above posts, I won't even try getting American Standard to replace the faucet. "The warrenty excludes damage due to aggressive air or water conditions" is the quote from their warrenty. The warrenty means nothing! Water conditions are what always ruins faucets here. I am not sure what I will buy. Maybe I will go back to Delta. At least the springs and seats are easy to replace and the body is made of brass.

Reply to
rchanson

Most warranties are worthless.

They are either too short or too restrictive or require the customer to pay shipping charges that rival the replacement cost.

Zinc and plastic are not premium materials so I presume this is not one of the expensive faucets anyway. Think of it as an opportunity to redecorate your sink. If you want reliability look for brass body and ceramic valves.

4 years is a little short even for a cheap model though

Reply to
AutoTracer

Here's another company to add to the list: Insinkerator

I bought one of their instant hot water dispensers for about $175. Just outside the one year warranty, it stops heating the water. Upon taking it apart, I find out the high temp fuse has opened. I call them up and find out that the replacement is a kit that changes the design and now uses a very different style. Looks to me like they figured out the original ones were defective and blowing for no reason. Still, I wound up paying about $25 for a new one plus shipping, as they wouldn't replace it out of warranty. Next time when I have a choice, you can bet it won't be Insinkerator.

Reply to
trader4

Back in 91' when I remodeled the kitchen in my last house, it was recommended that I purchase an American Standard faucet set. I was never happy with it and had similar problems to yours. The warranty does "suck" and they are not that well built in my opinion. Having said that I switched to all Moen with a lifetime warranty. Well built, well backed and they are soooo nice. Good Luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

One word for you: Moen

Reply to