"American" Gas Fired Water Heaters: Opinions On ?

Hello:

looks like I will be having my gas fired water heater replaced. This is the normal cylindrical standing up type.

Independent from the furnace.

Keyspan (Boston area) apparently uses a brand called "American." This is Not American Standard.

Have never heard of them. Any opinions on ?

BTW: How's AO Smith these days for quality ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

AO has a commercial line but look into tankless to save operating costs and get longest life, Rinnai and Takagi. can get up to 94% efficiency

Reply to
m Ransley

i would not worry too much about your water heater...i worked in th usa for 2 years as a gas tech.....it seems that the water heate systems are usually sturdy...they last about 15 years .....dont wai till it burst...replace it after its life expectancy has expired.... i your heater is not in the cellar id ensure that it is fitted in leakage-spill container with overflow to avoid nasty water leaks

british homes are now getting bigger and we are finding that our we combie boilers just do not supply enough hot water..we are adopting th USA system of water heating...we call them THERMAL STORES and UNVENTE HOT WATER SYSTEMS.

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec

And just think it will only take 25 years for the savings to recoop all of the additional cost of the product and the installation charges when you compare it to a tank water heater..

Reply to
ransley

Especially when you compare it to a mythological tank water heater that lasts forever and costs nothing.

Reply to
AZ Nomad