Amer Stand toilet

We're going to be buying one (and eventually, two) toilets, and could use a little real-life input. We've pretty much decided on an American Standard Cadet, the regular siphon-jetted type, although there is a very similar model, the Plebe, available at Lowe's for the same price. However, the AS website does not recognize the name Plebe. Odd, no?

Our main question concerns the shape of the bowl. Is there any truth to the idea that a round bowl flushes better due to creating a stronger whirlpool? Or is it just a comfort/space-saving difference? They both are said to have the same water surface area.

We appreciate any info.

J&B

Reply to
jean and bill

I find that many round bowl types do not fit male anatomy. They are so short front to back that it becomes very difficult and uncomfortable to sit on without contacting the front of the bowl.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

FWIW, I have an American Standard Cadet with elongated bowl. It's worked for several years without any problems.

Reply to
thunder

Reply to
Art Todesco

Not really. I've found that many manufacturers make "special" models of an item for Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc...

Usually this is a standard stock item, with a different name, packaging, and/or model number. The item is usually identical in every other way to some other item the manufacturer already sells.

Why? Price matching, of course! Prices are only matched on identical items, in identical retail packages.

I've personally seen this on gas grills, lawn mowers, power tools, appliances, and electronics. I wouldn't doubt American Standard would be glad to do this for a large volume purchaser such as Lowes.

I got smoked (pun intended) on a Sunbeam gas grill a few years back. The same grill, minus an "A" in the model number, cost me $35 more at Home Depot than a local department store. HD refused the match,as they "were not the same item".

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

The previous owners of my home installed a one piece, low profile AS toilet in one bathroom.

BEWARE! I recently needed to replace the guts in this thing, even though it's only about 7 years old, and they were ALL proprietary.

$77 + tax, special ordered, for a float valve. A standard toilet would have been fixed for less than $20, the same afternoon, as parts are available anywhere.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

when the bowl cracked on our old 30 yrs. old regular am st. toilet that flushed correctly we got a 1.6 gal. a/s cadet and had trouble with the low volume flush... the valve in the back went bad so i called up the a/s company and was told to move the float on the (smart valve) all the way to to bottom so its would keep the flapper valve up and let all the water out of the tank and flush OK.. i did it and it worked better..... then the smart valve would not stop leaking too much(was to taking it apart to clean it via instructions sheet)... called up the company and they mailed out another one.. i went to ace hardware, lowes, home depot, true value hardware and found that none of them carry the smart valve... so when waiting for one to arrive i went to home depot and got a fluid master valve and put it in and never had a problem since other than the low flush and now we have plungger sitting next to the toilet all the time.. i got tired of going into the shed/garage to get it like twice a day... need it sometimes, but not all the time.....

Reply to
jim

I have two cadets and they are just fine. They are the round bowl. As far as anatomy is concerned, it is true that I do get a lot of email offering to improve it but I have resisted this so far and have not had toilet problems. Perhaps this is something one should consider before answering spam.

I can't say anything about replacement parts--it is true that AS has proprietary stuff but I had two of them in the house I spent 25 years in (and they weren't new) and I never had any expense with them.

Reply to
donald girod

Yes not all AS toilets are the same mechanically. Even within the Cadet line, they are not all the same.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

all the

all the

better.....

valve...

than the

twice a

When the bowl of our old 5 gal per flush cracked I bought just the bowl of a 1.6 gal and used the tank from the old one it fit perfect then with all new parts inside with a adjustable flapper set to just enough to flush I think the extra volume of water in the tank really helps push it threw with very little water And on those times when its needed just hold the lever down the whoosh it makes its impressive no plungger needed

Reply to
Spud

Now, stop that. Quit trying to sneak a 2.9 gallon/flush commode in to your home.

which Lowe's did you say you lived near? Rather than switching up,
'm satisfied with my Cadet.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Not surprised at all. Don't "know" in any definitive sense, but a big discount buyer like Lowe's might plausibly strike a deal with a mfg for a big batch of cut rate toilets (or anything), to be sold under a 'special' brand name so as not to pollute the rest of the manufacturer's line. In this case: "Cadet", "Plebe".... get it???? Maybe Home Depot will start carrying the "Midshipman" and next will be the "Recruit"....

-v.

We had a round-bowl Cadet for 10 years, and an elongated bowl Kohler Wellworth. Both flushed well. Since the were not both Cadets, this comparison may not be germane, but I offer it for what it's worth. The water in the Kohler was shallower near the front of the bowl, and it tended to need cleaning a few days before the Cadet, but we aren't sure if that was the rate of usage or a characteristic of the design. The ladies of the house preferred the round bowl, but the men complained that there wasn't enough clearance at the front of the bowl for seated operations. In addition, the elongated bowl is better at catching drips for standing operations.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

The "Plebe" is not exclusive to any particular retailer. Am Std has made this model for years - more widely available through wholesale houses than retailers though. Interesting site

gives ratings on several models. My 2 are Am Std cadet and Western Pottery, I can vouch for the accuracy of these ratings in the case of these two.

Reply to
arturo bandini

Just an FYI: I spoke to the CEO of a bicycle manufacturer about his dealings with Wal-Mart. He said he's happy to sell to them, but only on condition that his company's name does not appear on the product, because of what he's forced to do in order to meet their pricing and marketing policies. Example: fewer spokes in the wheels, vinyl instead of leather saddles, plastic where metal should be used, unsmoothed welds, less paint, etc. You only get what you pay for. A great majority of Wal-Mart merchandise is built to a price point, rather than a quality level, and for reasons indicated above by Barry. Joe Arnold

Reply to
PhotoMan

Just an FYI: I spoke to the CEO of a bicycle manufacturer about his dealings with Wal-Mart. He said he's happy to sell to them, but only on condition that his company's name does not appear on the product, because of what he's forced to do in order to meet their pricing and marketing policies. Example: fewer spokes in the wheels, vinyl instead of leather saddles, plastic where metal should be used, unsmoothed welds, less paint, etc. You only get what you pay for. A great majority of Wal-Mart merchandise is built to a price point, rather than a quality level, and for reasons indicated above by Barry. Joe Arnold

Reply to
PhotoMan

Reply to
Brian Morgan

Correct. My mistake.

I forgot that Huffy was bidding against Pacific for GT/Schwinn.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Actually, Wal-Mart sells Next, Huffy,Mongoose, and Scwinn bikes.... Next being the "cheap" brand...

But, he is correct that Wal-Mart will dictate to the manufacturers on how to make the product so that they cansell it cheaper with a higher markup. I guess when you buy by the traincar load, you can do this...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton