Amazon clamps down on dangerous, laptop-destroying USB-C cables

Maximum output of USB Type-C 2.0 is 20V, 5A. Could it kill??
Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/30/amazon-clamps-down-dangerous-usb-c-cables
Amazon has banned USB-C charging cables that do not comply with specifications, awhich are considered dangerous as they can damage devices they are used with and potentially cause safety risks.
The USB-C specification, which includes a reversible connector that can plug in either way up, was designed as the do-it-all cable capable of charging computers as well as smartphones, tablets and other low-power gadgets.
Amazon’s move sees it acting as a de facto quality control agent for the USB-C cables, helping users steer clear of much needed but sub-standard products. Many USB-C enabled devices come only with USB-C to USB-C cables, not with cables for plugging into older chargers or computers – which commonly have USB-A connections.
Designed under the USB 3.1 specification, USB-C can deliver a larger amount of power than older USB cables allowing them to be used to charge computers such as Apple’s MacBook and Google’s Chromebook, both of which require significantly more power than smartphones do.
To do so, USB-C cables have a 56k ohm resistor that allows the power supply and the device plugged into it to work out the correct power level that suits both ends of the charging party, making sure the device does not draw more power than the plug can supply. The Amazon sign Facebook Twitter Pinterest Amazon nows prohibit ‘any USB-C (or USB Type-C) cable or adapter product that is not compliant with standard specifications issued by ‘USB Implementers Forum Inc’.” Photograph: Reed Saxon/AP
Unfortunately some USB-C cables have been made with the incorrect resistor, typically only 10k ohm, which means that it is possible for the device to draw more power than the plug can safely supply or potentially for the plug to push more power than the device can take. Others are wired incorrectly, which could destroy whatever they are plugged into.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 21:23:24 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"

If it sets that LiON battery on fire while you are sleeping, it might.
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 11:52:05 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What if I'm charging the LiON battery in my smoke detector when it catches on fire? ;-)
Chicken...Egg...Chicken...Egg
On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 09:03:20 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Farewell and adieu to you spanish ladies.
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 12:47:25 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

But we hope in a short time to see you again!
On 3/09/16 00:03, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Is this a thought experiment? ;)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
On 3/09/16 00:03, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Shouldn't you think about the landfill for garbage? Many countries don't carefully handle discarded rechargeable batteries...
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 3:01:15 PM UTC-4, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

I suppose you can tell me how this applies to my post.
On 9/3/2016 7:25 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was wondering that myself, but I decided that I didn't want any environmental tips from the Chinese.