Amazing Shrinking Doorway!

Page 2 of 2

I agree that it seems very strange and that the reason has probably not been found. It may be in the category of "one of the world's great mysteries", of which I have had my share. I do think that the solution is to just open up the clearances, however that might be done, and you are probably the only one who can determine how that might be. Good luck.
Don Young