Amature floor installer needs help.

I just bought an older home that needs extensive updating to its floors. I stripped the floors down to the subfloor and found many low-spots believed to be caused by a "settling of the house". So, I purchased a self-leveling compound and followed the instructions. I first primered the area, mixed the compound, and poured it in an area I believed to need the most help.
Well, I went the next day to check on it. I placed a 6 foot box level over the middle and found that I know had a seesaw affect. I think I may have poured to much in the middle. Is that possible? Is there a way to correct that? Should I break up the cement, clear the area, and start all over? It's getting quite expensive.
DIYamature ------------------------------------- . / V\ / ` / < < | / | / | / | / \ \ / ( ) | | ________| _/_ | | < _________\______)\__)
On Sep 15, 1:05pm, mnlopez74_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DIYamature) wrote:

The compounds have to be rather liquid to flow properly, so that may have been your problem. Get rid of the high area any way can and start over with smaller more liquid pours. Might be helpful to read up on how concrete finishers handle leveling. Renting a rotating laser level would be high on my list of helpful tools.
Joe
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Amature-floor-installer-needs-help-507948-.htm DIYamature wrote: Thanks Joe. I'll give that a try. Joe wrote:

------------------------------------- . / V\ / ` / < < | / | / | / | / \ \ / ( ) | | ________| _/_ | | < _________\______)\__)
On Sep 15, 1:05pm, mnlopez74_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DIYamature) wrote:

You might have to rent a floor snader to get it back down to level. A laser pointer would be also usable to check for waviness.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Amature-floor-installer-needs-help-507948-.htm DIYamature wrote: A floor sander is an interesting idea. What kind of sander paper or attachment would I need to level out the cement? I am assuming it would have to be very strong in order to sand down cement. Thanks for your response. hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

------------------------------------- . / V\ / ` / < < | / | / | / | / \ \ / ( ) | | ________| _/_ | | < _________\______)\__)
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Amature-floor-installer-needs-help-507948-.htm DIYamature wrote: I just found a better solution. After long hours of internet searches on site like this one, I found that the best way to correct uneven floors for hardwood floor installation is with ASPHALT SHINGLES. The conclusion that many people have come to is that leveling cement is not good for hardwood floors. The reasoning is that once you nail down on the leveling compound it will breach the surface creating a hole. Over time that hole will become bigger and the area around it brittle. Eventually, the cement might break down and loosen the nail. What ya think? DIYamature wrote:

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Amature-floor-installer-needs-help-507948-.htm
------------------------------------- . / V\ / ` / < < | / | / | / | / \ \ / ( ) | | ________| _/_ | | < _________\______)\__)
On 9/15/2010 2:05 PM, DIYamature wrote:

I'm curious as to what you used and what kind of subfloor. I've got hardwood here, and I don't believe that any of the cement based are designed for that. That should be all the the self leveling, as far as I know. I talked with a tech rep from "Level Quick" and he disabused my notion of using it on hardwood flooring.
BTW, there are a number of youtube videos on pouring and spreading.
Jeff

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Amature-floor-installer-needs-help-507948-.htm DIYamature wrote: Hi, Jeff. Well, the sub-floor is the standard size sheets of plywood or at least that's what i've been told. I am sorry for my lack of techinical knowledge, but it's definitely plywood. In fact, I demo'd the foyer, kitchen area, pantry/hallway area, which is a plywood subfloor, and have used the same compound to fill the low areas there as well. I intend to intall porcelian tiles in those areas once I get the leveling right. I just can't seem to get the leveling right...lol. I put leveling down, check it later, and it needs more. Then I put too much and i'm back to square one again. I am relucant too use a professional at this point cause I've spent so much money already that I am not sure I can afford it...lol. So Jeff, you believe that I have been using the wrong leveling compound? Jeff Thies wrote:

------------------------------------- . / V\ / ` / < < | / | / | / | / \ \ / ( ) | | ________| _/_ | | < _________\______)\__)
mnlopez74_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com says...

help-507948-.htm

You should check to see if your floor structure is stiff enough to install tiles on. 3/4" plywood over *properly* sized floor joists on 16" centers is the minimum.
If the dips are not too large or deep, the tiling process will cover them. The backer board you use under tiles will bridge low spots, just be sure and place enough thinset to support them fully, then nail tightly in the high spots. Drive the nails over the dips just enough to pull the backer board flat.
If there are still low spots, use a fairly thick layer of thinset under the tiles, and level across several of them with a 48" straightedge as you go.
And unless you are trying for an amusing effect, you might spell amateur correctly :-)
--
DT

DT wrote the following:

...and maybe you can set your computer to the correct date.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Amen ==