Amarr vs Clopay garage door

How do Amarr garage doors (aka ReliaBilt, sold by Lowes) compare with Clopay (aka Holmes, sold by Home Depot)? Amarr's website says they have "true 24 gauge" steel, but does that apply to their ReliaBilt brand name? Is Clopay "nominal" or true 24 gauge?
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

One way to find out specs is to call Customer Service and ask for bochures on the products you are inetrested in. Most web sites have 800 numbers for just this purpose. FWIW, Clopay has been around for ages, never ran across Amarr before, but then our local Lowes store is rather recent. Spend some time browsing through Google listings and look over web sites for more info. If you have a handy local library, check out the Thomas Register, a compendium of thousands of manufacturers and note the listings that appeal to you. Remember steel gauge is only one facet of quality. More important is the galvanizing and the multilayer topcoats. Read up on metal roofing, for example , for good info on finishes. Better one carry a 50 year warranty. Good luck.
Joe
Check your phone book to see if Wayne Dalton store is in your area. They make superior doors. Lowes may carry them but in my experience WD will sell it installed cheaper than Lowes. Also they have a neat opener that fits over the door instead of needing a track across the ceiling.

I got a hold of Amarr and Clopay cust svc. Clopay (Holmes/Home Depot) says their's is a nominal steel gauge rating while Amarr (ReliaBilt/Lowe's) says theirs is a true gauge. I'm still not sure how much difference that makes. I've searched the web a bit, but if it were really that important I would expect there to be a lot more info explaining it.
Art wrote:

Doubt it makes any difference as you can be talking thousandths of an inch difference. The thickness of the steel is a factor, but much more important is what you do with it, how you form it, how you paint it, and how well the hardware fits and works.
On Wednesday, September 13, 2006 at 8:36:19 AM UTC-5, Art wrote:

Superior? LOL Wayne Dalton makes the worst doors in the market. I've been doing doors for decades and have seen it all. You can't tell me that a doo r with PLASTIC drums, Internal springs (aka very low cycle) paper backing a nd outright FALSE R value claims makes a good door.(Its an R 3 for 80% of t he door, but in 2" per panel has a thick rib section with an R20 or somethi ng like that, so they give it the "average" R value, even though the huge m ajority of the door is an R3...) Not to mention the opener you reference i s also the most unreliable on the market.
I have no doubt you work for Wayne Dalton since they are the ONLY people wh o recommend that junk, anyone who does this for a living wouldn't never put one in their own homes
On 5/7/2015 10:54 AM, Nope wrote:

Nine years later, your comment is still relevant?
replying to Stormin Mormon , Sleestak wrote:

Yes, it is relevant. Why would it not be?
On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 10:44:04 PM UTC-4, Sleestak wrote:

I am considering new garage door - considering both Clopay and Wayne Dalton. The quoted installation price difference is quite large. Wayne Dalton (model 8300)is around $875 Canadian and Clopay (model 4053)is around $1200 Canadian. After reviewing lots of reviews, it seems that Clopay is better than Wayne Dalton in terms of quality.
I would like to know what your comment are.
Thanks Joseph

Have had two higher-end model Clopay steel two car garage doors for years. No issues.
A few years ago, our driveway replacement contractor hit the door with his Bobcat bucket. The Clopay regional sales office was very helpful...quickly rounding up a skilled installer and supplying a comparable model new door from their local warehouse which of course the driveway guy paid for.
--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 9:58:46 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:

anadian.

Good to know. I planned for the Premium Series. model 4050 or 4053. The specification is 26 Gauge Steel, 1 3/8 in thick and R Value is 6.5 usin g Polystyrene. My garage is insulated on the roof and dry wall, so the contractor said tha t I do not need a high R value.
Clopay got many good reviews in terms of quality even though it is at a hig her price compared to Wayne Dalton.
My understanding is looking for the steel gauge. Clopay used Steel Gauge 27 for higher end model like 9200, 9130 and 4300 series.
The lower the number of Steel Gauge, the better it is. Correct?
Comments.

Yup, like wire gauge or shotgun gauge...the lower the number, the bigger the diameter/thickness.
Curious though what your contractor said about not needing a well insulated door because the roof and walls are. Sorta like saying one bald tire is OK as long as the other three have good tread;-)
--
You can’t get rich in politics unless you’re a crook.
- President Harry Truman
On 12 Sep 2006 19:53:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

I have 5 Amarr doors, three insulated. All have the torsion spring(s) which are matched to the door weight. Preload the specified number of turns and they work correctly every time.
Hot-dipped galvanized American made steel.
--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
On Thursday, September 14, 2006 at 3:04:33 PM UTC-7, Andy Asberry wrote:

all manufacturers of steel doors [pan or insulated] use similar steel. fin ish at the factory is important. in this discussion only two mfgs. are ment ioned. there are many. all mfg. similar styles and grades. in most cases it is the homeowner who decides what is best for them [appearance and budg et].