Amana Washer Problem & Solution

Thought I would share this with the group.
The problem: A few months ago our 2 speed Amana washer model AW50 (~2-3 years old) started to throw water out of the tub. At first it appeared to be a leaking tub (inner tub is stainless, outer is steel) as there was a bead of rust on the lower flange of the outer tub. I called at least six "repair" people in my area, including two listed on the Amana site as "authorized repair centers" and no one would help me out...ok DIY to the rescue, besides if you want something done right ... after removing the front cover it was apparent that the belt was nearly shot. There was also a lot of black dust and debris in the bottom of the unit. Closer inspection revealed that the three brakes were broken. Apparently what was happening, especially on large loads was the agitation wouldn't agitate - just surge in one direction, eventually causing the water to be thrown out of the top of the tub.
The fix: disconnect the power, remove front cover, open the top cover, disconnect water fill hose, disconnect water drain hose from pump, disconnect water level hose (small clear tubing on back of tub), disconnect wiring harness from top of motor housing, disconnect six large springs from tub base, remove entire tub, invert, replace three brakes and six screws, remove three pump screws (required #25 torx driver which I didn't have, but do now), remove idler spring, replace belt, then put it all back together. Hardest part of the whole job was hooking the six large springs back up to the tub but I used a hooked tool that worked slick.
Tools required: Slotted screw driver 3/8 socket on 3/8 driver #25 Torx driver Pliers
Total cost of the repair: belt from local appliance repair shop: $6.00 set of 3 brakes (6 screws included): $11.00
Total time investment (not including time wasted trying to get a "professional"): diagnosing: ~15 minutes getting parts: ~15 minutes disassembly: ~15 minutes reassembly: ~15 minutes
One hour and $17 bucks...hope this is able to help someone else.
Regards, R. M. Libby
snipped-for-privacy@maine.rr.com (Mark Libby) wrote in message
Hi,

Some of the Amana washers have been spinning while agitating with worn brakes and this can throw the water out/over the top of the tanks :(
Kinda sounds like what was happening to yours....thankx for the tips!!

There's a limit to what an appliance repair company will (or are able to) tell you over the phone (and for free). They wouldn't be in business long if all they did was that. JMO
Glad to hear you were able to solve the problem though.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Amana+washer
=~~~~~~

Hi Dan,
Sorry for being unclear -- I called the repair centers seeking to have THEM repair the washer - not walk me through the diagnosis and repair. Maybe they knew it would be cost ineffective to have them to do it - maybe not - and I am sure that they were not representative of all of the fine folks in the appliance repair business.
Best Regards,
Mark Libby

Since Maytag now owns Amana maybe the service depots Amana lists are mainly former Maytag dealers which don't have much experience with older Amana laundry products?
I really don't think they should be turning the work away but if you need service in the future, you could try a *commercial* appliance repair shop (one which does laundry mats, etc.) and which is familiar with Speed Queen washers as Amana's washer design is based on Speed Queen's.
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Amana+washer
=~~~~~~
We have the same problem on alt.hvac, and also on my business here. People call and want me to tell them, for free, how to fix their stuff. Sometimes when I'm in a good mood, I'll give them a few hints. But overall, I worked hard for that wisdom, and you got to pay me for it.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks for the tip Dave, should be a breeze if this ever happens again!
Best Regards,
Mark Libby
My best was a Whirlpool washer failure. The first one, I did change out the coupler by tipping the washer (careful not to let the freon leak out). And the second one, I read the washer repair book I've got, and foudn out how to pop the whole cover off.
(the second one, the HO had tried his best to pry the ejector pump off the shaft, not knowing that you don't have to; the berring started leaking.)
Thanks for sharing. Having your washer running: Priceless.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus