Amana Washer NFW7300WW00 Trips Breaker

How to understand if electric motor for drum spinning is blown, or is it th e control board for the motor to spin the drum>? Amana Washer NFW7300WW00 Front Loader

When reassembling the washer after replacing the drum inside I didn't feel the need to attach the softener tube, or just forgot too. Don't use softene r! And as a result blew either the motor or control board for the motor which is on that side and at bottom of washer Circuit Breaker keeps tripping when the washer goes to spin the drum I checked out the readings on motor and board Not much from motor except for some ohms, and some ohm readings off a parti cular few connections on the control board I bought a used drum control board off EBay, and I am getting the same sort of readings, except less ohms. Of which I would figure for a washer motor that was used more than what my motor was, or is.....

All I had needed was a new Agitator Arm The old one rusted off the drum, and drum wobbled real bad, but stopped use and got another used but good whole drum assembly off EBay and replaced Why did it rust, washer is in the basement, humid, but a humidifier is, and the plants I have in and around the house thrive off the water from a humi difier! But The Washer Worked great! For two loads and then started to trip the circuit breaker on the wall plug, but there was no water anywhere on the bottom or back of washer that I could see, even with a flashlight. LED Replacement n ulbs by Dorcy are worth the moo'la, just make sure you get the right led fo r the batteries used! When I took washer apart, again, and BOOM there was the loose softener hose ! But the loose hose was above the Motor and kind of above but to the side of a control board which has a plastic tray covering it But hardly any water, there was some from the front of the washer seal arou nd the front rim, I think cause of soap build up, but it is approaching old ... Cleaned the rubber seal any ways....

There was only three suspension rods supporting the washer drum, only three . Yet there are four attachment points for these rods. So I bought another off EBay and now four! Four on so many other front load washers I have help ed to clean out!

i think past a point of waste of my money now, somewhere round 230 in parts , but I did not say that! Figuring something to learn from Hell, I got one cool fire box from the old drum, have another to give to my sister if this washer doesn't stop tripping the circuit breaker and clean clothes!

Reply to
Phill B

I take it the theory is that water got into either the motor or the control board. But we aren't there to see which one or if both of them got wet, etc. You have a used control board, did you try swapping it? I would think it more likely water would destroy a control board than the motor. Also possible it's something else.

Reply to
trader_4

First things first....

are you talking about the BREAKER or the GFI?

the BREAKER is usually in the electric service panel, and the GFI is usually in the wall outlet.

Which do you mean?

Mark

Reply to
makolber

GFI Trips The Washer turns on, lets you choose choices But as soon as the motor is to turn Boom Should I be getting more than a few ohms off the motor I think this is a 110 motor, not 12 volt If it was, I'd connect it to a var battery

Reply to
Phill B

So, Mark was right, it's not the circuit breaker as you initially reported.

Motor windings are low resistance normally. Are you sure everything is dried out? How long has this been? Could be something is still wet, I'd leave it well ventilated for a few days or maybe put a fan on it. Could also disconnect the motor, and try it then, if it still trips, then it's not the motor. The motor is 120V, unless it's some new fancy, super energy efficient washer, that might have some ECM type motor.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, if it is a GFI tripping, it is likely due to water got someplace it isn't supposed to be.

And this can create a path for electricity from the wires to the case of the washer.

And the GFI senses that unwanted path and shuts off the power.

So as Trader said, step one is to dry everything out really well for a few days with heat and air and with the power removed...., then try it again.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

BTW, that was a nice catch, the GFCI thing. When he said circuit breaker, I think the rest of us never thought it really was a GFCI.

Reply to
trader_4

Long time till a reply, floor and windows for Winter We had snow yesterday, not a lot but white was filling the sky..

Got another lower control board Still trips the GFI What kind of readings should I be getting off of this electric motor

Downed all the reading material on this washer, not much more to go on

Reply to
Phill B

Should have a name plate on the machine some where. Did you use amp meter near the breaker while someone else turns on the machine?

I've found that to be useful. Might well be a weak breaker. That happens.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Long time till a reply, floor and windows for Winter We had snow yesterday, not a lot but white was filling the sky..

Got another lower control board Still trips the GFI What kind of readings should I be getting off of this electric motor

Downed all the reading material on this washer, not much more to go on

I can not say one way or other; the problem may not be as far as "GFI". Problem could be in the power consumption of machine. Some new high efficiency crap machine are constantly starting and stopping that put the additional stress on supply line and braker's which can cause tripping of GFI. This type of machines should "NOT" be hook up through GFI's direct hookup should be consider.

Reply to
tony944

GFI on an appliance containing motor? If GFI is suspected bypass it for temporary. Trouble-shooting is just logical steps. Logic of elimination. If GFI is suspected make sure it is or it is not, then next step and so on until you arrive at solution.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Two problems with that:

1 - Typically most washers wind up on GFCI circuits because they are either near a slop sink or in a basement and code requires the GFCI protection.

2 - A properly functioning appliance should not be tripping a GFCI, it's almost always a problem with either the appliance or the GFCI. Basically, it's telling you that something is wrong, maybe before something very wrong happens.

Reply to
trader_4

Was nothing to do with GFI Power yes There is a little piece of metal attached to the motor housing This metal has two male plugs on them, in the shape of a U, and glued to the metal frame which is held on by one bolt, and two plastic plugs from metal arm that connect the washer drum and thus holds the motor White plug up top and a plug with clip on it was on below Needed to be reversed, white on the bottom.... By stupid luck I just switched for the hell of it and it worked without tripping GFI

Well I have a control board and a used motor for when the washer breaks Doing washes right now...... Fixed three other washers for people and getting free washer to use But now I have my own back,

Reply to
Phill B