Amana Dryer is taking longer

Hello: My Amana Electric dryer (model LE8327W) is taking longer and longer to dry the clothes. It seems to heat, yet even on the non automatic timed cycle it takes about three hours to dry a full load. I have read that a heating element may partially burn out; any thoughts on this? Could I use an ohm meter to determine the elements? Would a cycle thermostat be the best first bet? Any help is appreciated. Bill

the
takes
When was the last time you cleaned the vent to the outside?
You can get a pretty good idea by running it for a while, perhaps 15 minutes, when it is the only thing powered in your home and reading the electric meter. Compare the watts being dissipated with the rated dissipation and if they aren't fairly close the element most likely needs to be replaced. If you have a clip-on ammeter that would also work. What you describe sounds like a failing element.
Boden
CBHvac wrote:

When you run it for awhile are the cloths hot or not. If hot but damp, check for plugged vent. If not hot, it could be a heating element.
I had trouble with my gas dryer last spring. I went outside to see if it was blowing air and a dazed bird flew into my hand on its way out. Apparently damp lint collected on the outside flapper last winter, keeping it from closing, and a bird made a nest in the vent, almost totally blocking it.
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net /
snipped-for-privacy@xnet.com (David Efflandt) wrote in message wrote:

dry the

it takes

thoughts on

it
keeping
CBHvac wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Billccm) wrote in message

Hi,
Most dryer "to long to dry" or "poor/low heat" complaints can be traced back to a bad or poor venting system and sometimes a poorly maintained lint filter. Do not go outside and put your hand under the vent opening and say " it is fine - I feel air coming out"...that is not good enough...take your venting apart, clean it ALL out and make sure the vent hood flapper works and that it is not clogged with lint. Make sure your venting system is short, straight and resistance free as possible. A poor venting system will shorten the life of your dryer, plug up the fan blower and duct work inside your dryer as well.

A grounded heating element, bad thermostat(s), loose/burnt wire, drum seals, loose/broken fan blower, clogged lint filter can all make the dryer take longer to dry.
Try a test load with the dryer vent removed ( off ) of the dryer to see if any better.
jeff.
Slow driers are more likely caused by lint clogged filter, or vent tube. If you have some heat, I'd check air flow.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus
On 23 Nov 2003 04:20:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Billccm) wrote:

Move the unit away from the wall and give it a good cleaning with a shop vac. Clean out the exhaust pipe.
On 23 Nov 2003 04:20:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Billccm) wrote:

WHen was the last time you cleaned the lint filter?

The most common cause of poor drying is a plugged, partially plugged and/or poorly installed dryer vent. You can read about that at the following link:
How long can my dryer vent be? http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?IDw8

The only way most dryer elements could give only partial heat is if it was shorted to ground. Once disconnected from it wiring, the element should be able to be tested for a short to ground using an ohm meter. In some cases however, it is only when the element heats that it expands and sags touching a ground so such a short may not be able to be accurately tested for. A visible inspection for signs of a short may be necessary to confirm such a failure.

A thermostat failure is a *slim* possibility for your symptom however most times a dryer thermostat will either open causing NO heat at all or be shorted closed making the dryer too hot. It would be fairly unusually for one to just be inaccurate IMO.
I'd look elsewhere first (and second and third and forth...).
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Amana+dryer
=~~~~~~
Some Updates: Last night I removed the access panel, and vaccumed everything, and I mean everything. It was pretty dusty in there. I removed the lint screen and vaccumed, and moved the dryer out and vaccumed the vent opening, vent hose, and inlet into the vet pipe. I left the access panel off and turned the dryer on, no clothes, on 'auto-less-dry' cycle. The heater element glows RED for about three minutes, then I hear a click and the element dims off. Then the timer moves towards 'cool down', and ten minutes later the dryer is off. I put a large load of towels in today, and the dryer ran 2 hours and 20 minutes on 'auto fabric, less dry' cycle. The heater element would glow RED for three minutes, then 'click' off for several minutes, then repeat. The heater is NEVER on for longer then 3 minutes? I want to keep this dryer because it has stainless steel drums. BTW, how do you replace the belt? That looks like you need some tricks. Thanks for any help!
Bill

everything, and I mean

screen and

opening, vent hose, and

the dryer on,

hear a click and

and ten minutes

hours and 20 minutes

RED for three

heater is NEVER

BTW, how do you

If cleaning the vent doesn't solve the problem, try blowing out all the air passages with an air compressor or leaf blower. Do this outside. Blow in the vent, in the dust collector hole, in the air holes at the back of the drum (inside), until you quit getting crud out. I've completely restored non-working dryers this way.
Bob

How about the vent pipe all the way to the outdoors?

Did you try a load on the timed cycle to see if it dried properly?

That is usually the way dryers control the internal temperature.

That may be normal. In order to tell if the thermostats are cycling the element properly the air temperature where it exits the dryer is usually observed.
Plugged or partially plugged venting (**anywhere from the inside of the dryer right to the outdoors**) is one of the most common causes or poor drying. On an electric dryer it is usually possible to totally eliminate the venting as a possible cause by running the dryer for a load or two with the venting totally removed. If drying improves, you can be sure that the vent is (at least part of) the problem.

I don't know about your exact model but most Amana dryers are accessed from the front to replace the drum belt.