Amana and Bryant's top of the line heatpumps?

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean....

that many of the same brand

now, and showing it.

Builders grade York units are dropping like flies in the condos around here.

Same here...another reason I dont sell builder grade to anyone.
Kathy wrote:

Builder grade anything is short lifespanned and a lot of the time are undernourished to begin with. If your building a new house.. Don't let your general contractor select the HVAC contractor or the the equipment. Most HVAC Contractors that follow tract housing put in shit and are underaid and seldom are there for you when the equipment takes a shit. I can't begin to tell you how many warranty issues I have had to resolve for these assholes that install and run. Someone mentioned Rheem in another post. I ran into a sour newer unit of Rheem. Rheem asked me what I would suggest.. I suggested a complete replacement and that Rheem pay me my normal install fee. They promptly did just that! So I guess their warranty program is Good. Customer is happy and I got paid standard contract price. Customer told me that Original installer charged a lot less and didn't bother with an inspection sticker. Cheaper is not necessarily best./

Years back, Rheem went from a rectangle shape to square that had problem with drainage holes in the heat pumps. The problem only showed up when they were installed directly on the pad, causing the coil to get crushed. If they were raised on blocks, there was no problem. Typical example of a good brand and poor installation. Maybe he doesn't like them because he's the one who installed them wrong.

last
Technologies,

I've seen some of those old ones that were set right on a cement slab. Over 20 years old. Compressor went (not worth replacing). Pump down the unit and then pick it up to move it and the coil stays on the pad! Whole bottom rusted out!
They're pretty tough cookies now. As I said before, I installed on in my old house (my father-in-law lives there now) back in '92 and it' still going strong. And, yes, there are a lot of them out there still (and Ruuds) that were installed in the mid 80s that are still cranking away.
Haven't seen too many 20 year old Goodmans....
We'll all just have to agree to disagree....;-]

So does ANY company make a heatpump that you folks don't think is junk?
There are certain people on here who have nothing positive to say about anything, and you can disregard what they say. They hate home owners, and will go out of their way to misinform them. If you want to learn who they are, I suggest you start by going to the 'alt.hvac' newsgroup and reading the thread entitled "ALT.HVAC KILL FILTER/FILE Rev 1.0.3" Then read some of the posts written by the people listed.
"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

yard...

I thought there were some differences, but there aren't. We received quite a few variable speed air handlers this past year that had the Braynt logo on it. Carrier sent us a box of the Carrier ones to replace them (the plastic logo, not the whole air handler).

I remember when Heil was the workhorse of the industry. Especially the A/C units (the oil furnaces sucked!). Those suckers would never die! Especially those horseshoe shaped ones that you wouldn't know what logo was on them until you got right up on them. Could be Heil, Monkey Wards, Sears, Whirlpool. Then they came out with the cube shaped ones that turned into rust buckets just like the Goodmans.
Stretch wrote:

Didn't I say that?

Of course. Goodman and Carrier are in the same chain of corporate structure. But are still somewhat independantly manufactured. In fact Carrier and Goodman are the only units that reach the 95% plus requirement for the new tax break that came into being Jan 1, 2006. Others will soon be there. By the way I see Johnstone supply broke Lennoxs hold on selling lennox parts.

Yes Heil has turned into a white elephant over the last 15 years or longer.