Amana and Bryant's top of the line heatpumps?

Page 1 of 2
I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are less expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar performance specs and major components)
Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Oh, gawd...
Here we go again.....
Bryant seems to hold up pretty good, not many Amanas around here.

Bob wrote:

Bryant is a Carrier... Amana is OK too. It is owned by Janitrol(Goodman) which is in turn owned by ICP(Inter-City-Products). The same folks that own Carrier and Bryant. Amana is a design by itself. and does not fit the Janitrol Profiles. Bryant is just a cheaper priced clone of Carrier. Life span of all are about the same. The Amana line has come out with a new warranty that is great. MidAmerica Energy in Iowa has a $250.00 rebate for anything 92% efficient with an extra $25.00 for every percentage point above 92% efficiency. The Federal Government is also giving a tax break of $150 for all 95% and above efficiencies. To this the Feds are adding another $50.00 for units with variable speed blowers added to the above. So< if your state is with Energy companies Program You can maximize savings with the rebate from the energy company and the taxe deduction for a possible total of $525.00. Not exactly chump change. There are several manufacturers that now have 95% plus units that will fit these requirements.

Installed a goodman furnace i bought off the internet myself. Install was easy, furnace works great and is set up perfect (had a licenced installer check) Saved $5k and recommend you do so as well. Goodman is the #1 choice of builders and this was an extra laying around a job site.

Only because its the cheapest POS available. I hope the serial number has been run to make sure the unit wasn't stolen from a job site.
Noon-Air wrote:

I for one would like a building official to inspect that to insure the Idiot doesn't kill his own or others.

You saved $5K???
We don't install gas, but we don't even charge $5K for an oil furnace.
I'm all for saving money. Hopefully you won't have any problems with it...
My thoughts exactly. If he did get estimates that high, then the contractors probably sized him up as being one of those PITA DIY homeowners and gave him a super high price just to make sure they didn't get the job.

was
installer
Rusht, Did you buy it off the internet or pick it up extra laying around the job site?
You said both in the same paragraph.
Troll.
Stretch
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

This is Turtle.
WOW $5K for just a gas furnace ? Hey what part of the Country are they getting that for I'm Moving my business there.
TURTLE

For him to be bragging about saving 5K like that, he must have gotten some serious gratuitous sex in the process.
Don,
Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.
Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies, which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil, ArcoAire, etc.
ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International Comfort Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier's Parent bought them. Now ICP means "It's Carrier's Problem" :-)
Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can't be a good sign.
Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.
Just my personal, proffessional opinion.
Stretch
Thanks for helpful comments. Regardless of parent Corp, sometime a companies top of line is good even though low end builder's grade is junk. Also if there are identical units that are just badged differently, might make sense to get less expensive badge. [understand product backing might be different]
For example, since Bryant owned by Carrier then Bryant's Evolution HP may be same as Carriers Infinity but at different price.
Agn thanks
Ted
Don,
Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.
Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies, which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil, ArcoAire, etc.
ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International Comfort Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier's Parent bought them. Now ICP means "It's Carrier's Problem" :-)
Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can't be a good sign.
Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.
Just my personal, proffessional opinion.
Stretch
You also might want to consider Rheem/Ruud if you can find a quality installer in your area. I've had excellent luck with them.

Obviously someone didn't install them correctly.

Come on. Rheems aren't that bad! I put one in my old house in '92 and it hasn't missed a lick yet.
I think this whole thing with "brand hatred" boils down to what everyone has been saying here for years: It's not the brand, it's the installer: Here me out now:
It boils down to WHO is installing a certain brand. For example: We had a local company run by a low-life druggy (I know. I went to school with him). He worked for a local company and was worthless. Always showed up late. Never could find him when they needed him. They got rid of him. He tried a couple more companies and he never lasted more that 6 months or so. Well, daddy had money, so daddy gave him enough to buy a company that was going out of business. Somehow he became a York dealer. Well, he hired a bunch of his druggy friends (most rejects from other companies) and somehow he managed to stay in business for about 3 years. Put in a lot of equipment........piss-poorly. They just shut down one day and flew the coop. Left a lot of people with warranty work and maintenance contract unfullfilled. That's when we started getting calls to fix their f*ckups. The point I'm trying to make is: Most York units I have worked on were ones this guy installed. Installed WRONG!! So, naturally I got an attitude about York products. They are all CRAP!!! But they probably aren't! It's just that all the ones I had to work on WERE. Same goes with every other brand out there. Even (god help me) Goodmans! If all you see is one brand that a certain lame-ass company in your area installed, you probably are under the impression that all their products a sh*t! True, there are a lot of units out there that ARE cheaply made and look like they'd fall apart if you sneeze (How 'bout them Ducanes??!!!....;-]), but every brand has a "low end line" (or builders grade if you want to call them that).
Does that make sense? I know I'm rambling. I'll shut up now....
;-]