Am I too Picky?

Page 2 of 2
Dbdblocker wrote:

You have failed as a father.
When you had the opportunity when they were growing up to instill some iota of engineering principles, critical or logical thinking or device / appliance servicing and repair, where were they? Out with their peers, at the mall, getting into trouble, experimenting with drugs / alchohol, vandalizing other people's property, playing video games?
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:01:22 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Playing video games. They think any mistake can be reset.

You ask a trick question, Kimosabe.
YOU are responsible. Notice I did not say to blame.
As with any newbie on the job, it is YOUR duty to tell them what is acceptable and what is not. You may not ass-u-me that someone else has taught them. You have every right to tell them what is acceptable at your house, and that you don't care one whit about what they do at home.
After some teaching them some rules and boundaries and your do's and dont's, if they don't do it right, then they are lost.
Think back to when you were coming up. Who did you learn the most from? And how?
I learned the most from two types: the kindly teacher, and the hard ass. They both have their merits, and their timing.
Good luck, Grasshoppa.
Steve
Dbdblocker wrote:

Replace the standard faucets with ball valves.
On 6/9/2011 9:16 AM, Dbdblocker wrote:

You subject line is a clue...you feel guilty because it bothers you that they aren't careful with your property? So, first step is to ask them not to grind the faucet so hard. Next step, have them help when it needs to be fixed. Last step, have them do one while you help. Just making up for missed opportunities...most of us didn't get to do all we wanted with/for our kids.
I recently got some pix of grandson's eighth grade graduation party...invited whole class of 40 or so, held in the yard with dancing in the barn. Noticed that almost every pic had one or two kids with iPods in their hands. It occurred to me that they must be texting, and why text when ur at a party? My daughter told me they actually asked each other for a dance by texting! R u kidding? WFT?
As for the country being done for, as long as Sarah Palin draws a crowd, I'd be ready for the funeral service.

You forgot the step where you bitch slap them in the back of the head after you've asked them to do something two times. My old man was like that, so most things took only one correction. Sometimes two, but that was all you got.
Smack! Or he'd thump you with his middle finger on the top of your head really hard when you weren't looking. Made one at least stop and think a bit before proceeding.
Yes, it was child abuse, but I didn't turn out like these little turds today.
Steve
Occams Razor suggests it is simply a matter of genetics.
Technology to the rescue:)
Apply too much pressure:( Get a nasty but safe shock...
I am sure it could be built:)

Switch over to 1/4 turn ceramic valves? And try to get them to understand that the valves open & close based on position not tightness.
cheers Bob

delta single handle faucets work awesome great, the only trouble with them the mean time between faiures, drips is so long perhaps 8 to 10 years i forget the service tricks..
i rarely think of them, they are affordable dependable and cannot be over tightened:)

== They work well but I'm sure that if they can't be over-tightened they'll be broken off in the attempt to do so by the 'dedicated' destroyers. I'm a dedicated cynic. ==
Dbdblocker wrote:

A failure of the public education system. The schools should be teaching our kids more better how to turn off faucets.

It is also a conspiracy amongst the unions. The plumbers union, seeking job security, wants to change faucet washers at least bi-annually. To achieve this, the teachers union in sympathy with them does not teach proper use. Religious schools are of no help. They teach faucet turning as the only method of acceptable touching your crank so you may turn it back and forth as desired.