Am I too Picky?

It ruffles my feathers every time my kids come over and wind down my faucets until the rubbers destroy themselves. Why don't they stop turning the faucet when the water stops? Isn't that the idea? Why do then need to crank them down like a wheel lug nut? They have no concept of anything if you try to explain it. That must be why their faucets always leak, their lawn mowers are always broken, they have trouble with their cars and appliances are falling apart. This generation is the dumbest I've ever seen. If my grand kids get dumber than they are, this country is done for.

Reply to
Dbdblocker

Offer to fix their faucets.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Dbdblocker wrote the following:

I assume you have already taken the first step which would be to ask them not to do that?

Reply to
willshak

Well, you raised 'em. Why did you raise such dumb kids?

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I don't have that problem. Wrong sized washer? The screw should bottom out before the washer gives away.

My grand-kids and nieces and nephews are pretty smart. :-)

Reply to
JimT

I am lucky....My kids are smarter than I. The grand kids are getting there also. Tough getting old. (G) ww

Reply to
WW

I have the same problem, but it's my *mother* that does it. Goddamn old farts and their refusal to change...

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Their mother raised them.

Reply to
Dbdblocker

I hear you... I'm continuously amazed/horrified/terrified by this and related behavior.

IMHO, the root cause is a near complete lack of simple common sense...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

so lack of a proper father image?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

So blame their mother and praise the kids for doing as they were taught.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

OK, as long as we are being cranky old farts . . . why do modern faucets use fancy "cartridges" that cost $20 to replace, instead of a

10-cent washer, which as near as I can tell does the same thing?
Reply to
Heathcliff

Yes, it's a crying shame that the ability to teach was evidently lost in your family at least one generation before that of your kids...

Reply to
Larry W

At the grand kids home faucets likely drip, and over torquing saves water...

So offer to fix their faucets or better yet show them how, and install ball valves at your home, over tightening a ball valve will just tire out their arm:)

Reply to
bob haller

=3D=3D I have a sister who wrecked every set of taps in my house. I screamed at her so many times about her penchant for over-torquing but it was hopeless trying to get through to her. I finally installed expensive taps that can't be wrecked easily and even after that she had to try and give that final thrust to make sure the tap didn't leak. Its a pathological sickness that she was born with...no other explanation fits. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

You have failed as a father.

When you had the opportunity when they were growing up to instill some iota of engineering principles, critical or logical thinking or device / appliance servicing and repair, where were they? Out with their peers, at the mall, getting into trouble, experimenting with drugs / alchohol, vandalizing other people's property, playing video games?

Reply to
Home Guy

You ask a trick question, Kimosabe.

YOU are responsible. Notice I did not say to blame.

As with any newbie on the job, it is YOUR duty to tell them what is acceptable and what is not. You may not ass-u-me that someone else has taught them. You have every right to tell them what is acceptable at your house, and that you don't care one whit about what they do at home.

After some teaching them some rules and boundaries and your do's and dont's, if they don't do it right, then they are lost.

Think back to when you were coming up. Who did you learn the most from? And how?

I learned the most from two types: the kindly teacher, and the hard ass. They both have their merits, and their timing.

Good luck, Grasshoppa.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If I had to guess, I'd say it was because his mother ran off with a Spanish dance instructor named Gomez who had shiny patent-leather shoes and a pencil-thin mustache.

Gomez ultimately became a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman in Toledo and, pardon the pun, "cleaned up."

Reply to
HeyBub

Replace the standard faucets with ball valves.

Reply to
HeyBub

You subject line is a clue...you feel guilty because it bothers you that they aren't careful with your property? So, first step is to ask them not to grind the faucet so hard. Next step, have them help when it needs to be fixed. Last step, have them do one while you help. Just making up for missed opportunities...most of us didn't get to do all we wanted with/for our kids.

I recently got some pix of grandson's eighth grade graduation party...invited whole class of 40 or so, held in the yard with dancing in the barn. Noticed that almost every pic had one or two kids with iPods in their hands. It occurred to me that they must be texting, and why text when ur at a party? My daughter told me they actually asked each other for a dance by texting! R u kidding? WFT?

As for the country being done for, as long as Sarah Palin draws a crowd, I'd be ready for the funeral service.

Reply to
norminn