Am I too Picky?

Page 1 of 2
It ruffles my feathers every time my kids come over and wind down my faucets until the rubbers destroy themselves. Why don't they stop turning the faucet when the water stops? Isn't that the idea? Why do then need to crank them down like a wheel lug nut? They have no concept of anything if you try to explain it. That must be why their faucets always leak, their lawn mowers are always broken, they have trouble with their cars and appliances are falling apart. This generation is the dumbest I've ever seen. If my grand kids get dumber than they are, this country is done for.

Offer to fix their faucets.
Dbdblocker wrote the following:

I assume you have already taken the first step which would be to ask them not to do that?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Well, you raised 'em. Why did you raise such dumb kids?
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 07:27:57 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Their mother raised them.

so lack of a proper father image?

So blame their mother and praise the kids for doing as they were taught.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say it was because his mother ran off with a Spanish dance instructor named Gomez who had shiny patent-leather shoes and a pencil-thin mustache.
Gomez ultimately became a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman in Toledo and, pardon the pun, "cleaned up."
Dbdblocker wrote the following:

So, you are a subject of your wife?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 6/9/2011 8:16 AM, Dbdblocker wrote:

I don't have that problem. Wrong sized washer? The screw should bottom out before the washer gives away.
My grand-kids and nieces and nephews are pretty smart. :-)

I am lucky....My kids are smarter than I. The grand kids are getting there also. Tough getting old. (G) ww
On 6/9/2011 8:16 AM, Dbdblocker wrote:

I have the same problem, but it's my *mother* that does it. Goddamn old farts and their refusal to change...

I hear you... I'm continuously amazed/horrified/terrified by this and related behavior.
IMHO, the root cause is a near complete lack of simple common sense...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense
Erik

Common sense is a red herring. Doesn't exist.
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 10:02:07 -0700, Erik wrote:

That's what it appears to be, lack of a common sense gene. If they can't understand or see how it works in their mind, explaining does not click for them. Stupid is stupid.

OK, as long as we are being cranky old farts . . . why do modern faucets use fancy "cartridges" that cost $20 to replace, instead of a 10-cent washer, which as near as I can tell does the same thing?

Yes, it's a crying shame that the ability to teach was evidently lost in your family at least one generation before that of your kids...
At the grand kids home faucets likely drip, and over torquing saves water...
So offer to fix their faucets or better yet show them how, and install ball valves at your home, over tightening a ball valve will just tire out their arm:)
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:13:08 -0700, bob haller wrote:

Their attention span is too short.

== I have a sister who wrecked every set of taps in my house. I screamed at her so many times about her penchant for over-torquing but it was hopeless trying to get through to her. I finally installed expensive taps that can't be wrecked easily and even after that she had to try and give that final thrust to make sure the tap didn't leak. Its a pathological sickness that she was born with...no other explanation fits. ==