Always one last clock

We do daylight saving time in NYS. Last night, during the church social, I walked around all the offices, and class rooms. Changed clocks, and clock batteries.
Every year, three or four days later, I'm finding clocks at home that havn't been changed.
Digital camera, thermostat, computer, cell phone, van radio, truck radio, and the list goes on.

suppose it might make a difference in the coffee maker since you are getting up on DST, but I can't see it making any difference if any of the other things comes on an hour "early".
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:30:06 -0700, Oren wrote:

My watch lives in my wallet, without a strap, after I got tired of replacing straps every few months due to wear... the mechanism for setting the hands is a little unreliable, so I just leave it alone and remember to adjust time mentally by an hour as needed. I've probably been doing that for 15 years now.
Of all the things in the house - other than the watch - I think I only really use four to ever tell the time, and two of those are 'net- connected and adjust automatically anyway. Everything else just runs free according to whenever the power last went out, and I know to ignore them.
cheers
Jules
On 3/11/2012 2:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Gerbil power. It's so, so 1950s.

Computer? Cell phone? What are you using, 1980s technology?
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:23:17 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

You think that's tough, try resetting the clocks in a herd of cows who get milked at 5am daily, no matter what! You cant just move their hands an hour ahead, (because they dont have hands) :)
I never thought of that. Udderly miserable situation.
You think that's tough, try resetting the clocks in a herd of cows who get milked at 5am daily, no matter what! You cant just move their hands an hour ahead, (because they dont have hands) :)
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm working on an invention to make this resetting of clocks unnecessary. Essentially my invention is a clock with two hour hands, one hour apart.
The red one, one hour ahead of the blue one, is the Daylight Savings Time hand, the other is normal time. Once set, you only have to remember whether it's hot outside or cold.
Investment in the project is being solicited.
Put me down for five bucks. I'll buy a couple shares of your stock with my five bucks.
I'm working on an invention to make this resetting of clocks unnecessary. Essentially my invention is a clock with two hour hands, one hour apart.
The red one, one hour ahead of the blue one, is the Daylight Savings Time hand, the other is normal time. Once set, you only have to remember whether it's hot outside or cold.
Investment in the project is being solicited.
On 3/11/12 1:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

horizon an hour late this afternoon.
Naah, the EPA would not permit me. Obama, and his crew.
I bet Bush II would let me.
Could you adjust that big yellow thing in the sky? It sank below the horizon an hour late this afternoon.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Think about collective time spent fiddling with time pieces for the country. Lots of wasted time for nothing. My cat did not wake me up this morning at 6:30. He does not know DST, LOL!

The DST mandate - especially the recent damn change in onset dates that invalidated so many devices that had automagic DST functions built in - seems to be even sillier than the CFL rules in terms of what they really save. I've read that DST causes problems synching airline flight schedules with countries that don't believe in it, leaving the US at a competive disadvantage. I just don't see the point. At one time it might have saved money, but in this 24/7 "always-on" world I think the returns are greatly diminished from what the once were. That is, if there ever were any savings at all.
http://www.physorg.com/news187946326.html says:
<<The US state of Indiana has 92 counties, but until 2006 only 15 of them adjusted their clocks for daylight saving time, with the remainder keeping standard time all year, at least partly to appease farmers who did not want the change. Then in 2006 the Indiana Legislature decided the entire state should adopt daylight saving time, beginning that spring. This unique situation enabled professor of economics Matthew Kotchen and his PhD student Laura E. Grant, both from the University of California at Santa Barbara, to study how the adoption of daylight saving affected energy use. They studied over seven million electricity meter readings in southern Indiana every month for three years, and compared the energy consumption before and after the change. The 15 counties that had adopted daylight saving time much earlier were the control group, which allowed them to adjust for the effects of weather extremes over the period.
The result of the study showed that electricity use went up in the counties adopting daylight saving time in 2006, costing $8.6 million more in household electricity bills. The conclusion reached by Kotchen and Grant was that while the lighting costs were reduced in the afternoons by daylight saving, the greater heating costs in the mornings, and more use of air-conditioners on hot afternoons more than offset these savings. Kotchen said the results were more "clear and unambiguous" than results in any other paper he had presented.>>
Something I've always expected. It costs MORE than it saves. Who would have thunk it? Congress doesn't usually make those kinds of serious errors. Arf, arf like HELL it doesn't!
-- Bobby G.
On 3/13/12 4:04 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Supposedly, indoor workers would have more daylight each day to exercise and such outside after work. It appears to me that people are getting fatter and lazier. Of course, our lying weasels won't repeal DST. They're doing it for our own good, they say.
Robert Green wrote:

Not only. Think of the chickens!
Mr Rooster may very well sleep through dawn and then where would we be?
Late for work. What a cock not up!
(Cock is slang term for rooster.)
Not only. Think of the chickens!
Mr Rooster may very well sleep through dawn and then where would we be?

The even more interesting part was the reaction of the Greens and certain other groups to this bit of blasphemy. Kotchen and Grant had all sorts of aspersions cast upon their work, their integrity, and their lineage. Hell hath no furry as a bureaucrat scorned.