Aluminum siding removal

I need to remove the bottom row of shiplap aluminum siding so I can replace the dry rot on the bottom plates on top of the foundation. I don't want to take it ALL off from the top down to the bottom. Siding was installed in the 50's or 60's. I can probably pry from down below and loosen the hidden nails that are hidden by the second row of siding. Any suggestions of how to put it back? Simply nail it on and caulk the nail holes?

All replies appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Getting it off is easy, getting it back may be tougher.

To get it off you just need to pop the bottom out of the starter strip with a wonderbar, then do the same thing at the top and pull down on the piece you want to remove. The nails will pulll through the sding.

Reply to
gfretwell

Aluminum and vinyl siding is usually nailed just at the top, in the flange area that is covered by the next strip as you work up. There is a special tool that hooks under an upper section of siding and separates it from the lower section. You can later the use the same tool to lock the upper piece back into place.

When you replace the siding, gently lift the upper siding, being careful not to damage it, and nail the replacement in the flange area. You won't have much space to swing hammer so a nail gun or stapler might work better. Then use ,the "zipper" tool to lock the upper piece back onto the newly attached section.

Reply to
Robert Haar

I don't know how to remove and replace the siding but depending on where you live, you might want to hide the removed siding in the back yard until ready to replace it. In some cities, people are even stealing the aluminum siding off vacant homes to sell as scrap and your siding laying around on the ground would be pretty attractive. They might even help you get the rest of the siding off your house. What a world we now live in.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G