Alternatives to drywall anchors?

I used plastic drywall anchors to mount a towel ring to the bathroom wall. The anchors have pulled out of the wall.
I've used toggle bolts in the past, but they require pretty large holes, and the holes for this particular mounting are only about an inch apart.
Suggestions?
All we have in my town is a crappy Menard's with untrained staff. We don't get any of that "How can I help you with your project" that we used to get at the home stores in bigger cities.

I assume you used the basic cone-shaped anchors, right? In between those and toggle bolts is a middle solution: Somewhat fancier plastic anchors with "wings", sort of. Go to www.homedepot.com and search for this item number: 169103
These things don't need a hole quite as large as you'd make for metal toggles. Might be a good solution.

http://www.itwbrands.com/brand_details.aspx?brandID=1
I switched over to these several years ago. They work well for me. More expensive that plastic anchors. I have had less problems with them. They are available in pot metal and plastic in different sizes for the weight supported.
Whatever your final "fix" you might want to patch (& tape) the holes first, so you have some tiny amount of structural integrity for the kludges you insert. The screw-in plastic/pot-metal inserts are potentially much stronger than the cheapo plastic anchors.
Going forward, understand that the wallboard has little strength- it's in the framing. Learn how to find the studs and anchor stuff to them.
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

What's the wall, tile over cement backer board or just drywall?
If it's drywall, I'd suggest you either try to relocate the towel ring over a stud you can screw into, or perhaps make a suitably finished strip of wood you can span and fasten to two studs and mount the ring onto that.
Unless you handle the towels on that ring with kid gloves, I wouldn't trust any fasteners through drywall alone to last very long without loosening. The typical user tugging on the towels will probably wiggle them loose.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Yeah, that may be the way to go. The towel ring is located centered between the two mirrors, and there's no stud. The mirrors themselves are mounted to the nearest studs.
Thanks for the replies!
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I agree, it would be easier to cut a section of drywall out, install a 2x and be done with it forever and ever.

He could find someone with a router to put some sort of decorative edge around a 1-by whatever size wood is right, mount it on the outside, spanning between the beams, and put a couple of other hooks on it for....whatever, in addition to the towels.
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Wrote:

I've used the "Self Drilling Drywall Anchors" myself with pretty good success. I find them much better than the more "traditional" anchors - they look like big palstic screws. There's also a version that has a toggle built into them which is much smaller than the more traditional toggle bolt. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. http://tinyurl.com/bd8ot
--
lincolncowhunter

I routinely use 1 1/8" X 2 or 3" toggle and one plastic anchor per towel ring/bar bracket. The plastic anchor has little or no holding power but adds stability from twisting. You should never install 2 toggles that close together. Cause you have turned your wall into Swiss cheese. The 1/8" wing only requires about 5/16" hole.
In 19 years I have never had a call-back because of failure.
Colbyt
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

Hey! I _like_ Menard's -- wish we had some here in Texas.
CJT wrote:

Menard's varies from store to store. I have three within reasonable driving distance; one is crappy, one is good, and the third is somewhere in between.