Alternative to Tile in the Kitchen

Page 2 of 2

SteveBell wrote:

I'd pull up the underlayment and vinyl together, down to the original subfloor, before I would belt-sand a kitchen full of hardened adhesive with who-knows-what in it, and dispersing it through the house as fine dust. Of course, doing that properly would also mean pulling out the base cabinets. If the kitchen redo is a gut job, no big deal, but if only the vinyl needs a refresh, and the difference in floor height isn't a show-stopper, a layer of whatever they sell in your area for overlay underlayment (and around here, it IS luan, with printed screw marks on it) is the cost-effective way to go. Back in the stone age, we used 1/2" or 5/8" particle board as kitchen underlayment, but if it ever got wet, it was a major pita. Thin plywood, methinks, would stand the occasional oopsie leaking through a seam much better. -- aem sends...

Trafficmaster Allure Vinyl Plank flooring..
Our easiest-to-install flooring ever! Install an entire floor cleanly, easily in just a few hours. Easy GripStrip installation Lays directly over your old floor; no floor prep or messy glue needed! Looks and feels like ceramic tile feel the texture! Completely waterproof. Perfect in high moisture areas basements, kitchens, and bathrooms. Warm comfort and quiet under foot. 25 year residential warranty.
Perfect for the DIYer...My dad has had it for a few years...Nice stuff and a breeze to install....HTH...
http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Vinyl-Resilient-Flooring/Trafficmaster/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj4ZapwrZ395/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053&storeId051&catalogId053&langId=-1