Alternative to Muriatic acid?

This might have potential. Saw it at the pool store today. 10 year shelf life, won't off-gas and rust things, but I'm not sure about cheap as I have not checked a price.

I watched the video in the store. See it here:

"The Magic Egg? demonstration video shows how effective ACID Magic is by dissolving the shell of an egg without harming the egg protein yolk or the hand holding it. "

Check out the uses: 90% less fumes so they say.

Reply to
Oren

It is hydrochloric acid, Muriatic is hydrochloric, I guess its a treated acid. Muriatic would be alot cheaper.

Reply to
ransley

For crying out loud READ!!!!! I said Phosphoric is safer. Since when is battery acid phosphoric???

SHeesh!!!!

Reply to
clare

For crying out loud READ!!!!! "The big advantage to the sulphuric is the acid was free and we needed to get rid of it one way or other anyway. A big pile of batteries that needed to be shipped to the lead smelter netted in excess of 10 gallons of pretty strong acid."

There is a salvage yard in ND that recycled batteries with the sulfuric acid dumped. They had to excavate a lot of dirt and send it to a haz disposal site.

Reply to
bud--

Look again. I said "The phosphoric is definitely SAFER." Someone replied " Not if it's coming out of lead acid batteries. I wonder how much lead you put into the ground, or did you contain all the liquid and take it to a hazardous waste site?"

I replied "For crying out loud READ!!!!! I said Phosphoric is safer. Since when is battery acid phosphoric???"

As far as the disposal of the sulpuric acid, neutralized sulphuric acid (which is what is left after etching concrete or limestone) is basically Calcium sulphate and water . Totally harmless. The lead is a different story, but battery acid contains very little if any lead.

Reply to
clare

Yup, that is what you said.

You also said that you used sulfuric acid from batteries, maybe 10 gallons, which is what Tony responded to.

You appear to have a short memory. In the same post you also said: "The big advantage to the sulphuric is the acid was free and we needed to get rid of it one way or other anyway. A big pile of batteries that needed to be shipped to the lead smelter netted in excess of 10 gallons of pretty strong acid." That is the second time I have quoted what *you* said. It is in the thread above.

It is enough to cause an expensive haz cleanup in a junk yard in ND.

The point by Tony, which is entirely valid, is that sulfuric acid from lead-acid batteries should properly disposed of.

Reply to
bud--