Alternative to MacMaster-Carr?

Page 1 of 6
They are pissing me off. Their website has some idiotic built-in protection against people who click too fast. I've never seen that anti-customer programming on any other online store's website, and I do plenty of online shopping.
Is there an alternative, currently?
Thanks.

Try MSC and then I will see your reaction.
Then try Grainger.
Both of the above truly suck and there is no other alternative besides them.

They jury is still out on MSC for me.

Grainger sucks runny effluent thru a straw and spits turds.

Yet, if you call Grainger, they are pretty good on the phone.

    For me, MSC is preferred to McMaster Carr. Both accept phone orders, and normally get the items to me the next day. But MSC will happily send me a yearly copy of "The Big Book" -- their boat anchor of a catalog. McMaster Carr wants you to be somehow cannonized before they will send you a catalog, and I find fewer things (of what I want) in a McMaster Carr catalog when I can find one than in the MSC catalog.
    I understand that the McMaster Carr web site is better than MSCs (though MSC's is improving), but I prefer the dead-tree catalog when I'm really looking for something. Among other things, it will show me similar objects which might satisfy my needs better on the same or a nearby page.

    They want me to be a business -- though they will sell to me under the name of my employer before retirement. I think that the requirement is because of pressure from the various trades in the area.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I agree, and for the same reason. MSC also publishes their catalog on CD.

I get McMaster catalog every year, nyah, nyah, nyah.
Fleabay?
Depends on what you want. Just about everything they sell can be found elsewhere. Just not many who have their selection and inventory.

click slower?
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-bugged invalid.invalid> wrote:

I had trouble figuring out how slowly they want me to click. If I were retarded, shopping at two or more different stores might be problematic. Doing so automatically decreases the number of clicks on McMaster's website and therefore should satisfy their maximum click requirement.
--

I should think that it would be highly satisfying and amusing to use the customer contact number to call and ask them. It might also be just as interesting to track down the CEO and ask him/her
If I

On 4/3/2012 12:12 AM, John Doe wrote:

Switch to decaf?
Myopic <myopic top-posters-anonymous.com> wrote:

I don't drink caffeinated anything. Besides, I don't know what their clicking limit is.
--

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 04:12:54 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

I guess you're proof that you can't please everybody.
In my view Mc Master has HUGE selection of quality products at fair prices with INCREDIBLY great service.
Karl
Karl Townsend <karltownsend.NOT embarqmail.com> wrote:

Then to put a limit on browsing all that stuff is counterproductive.

Some hidden limit on using their website is not incredibly great service.
--

> Karl
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:27:02 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

There is no limit. I use their site frequently and never had a click limit. McMaster is far superior to Grainger.
I have to wonder if the OP is using W95 and 256k of memory.
I am a gamer that uses speech to write and control my computer. Took many years and lots of technical know-how to operate a computer by voice. I'm not a communications/website expert, but I know exactly what I'm talking about. In fact, I provided a readout of the text message provided on their website.
This author is full of shit...
Ed Pawlowski <esp snet.net> wrote:

On 4/3/2012 2:36 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

That doesn't seem to be at the root of his complaint; his complaint seems to be about the manner in which the web site functions.
Back to the original poster, what does "built-in protection against people who click too fast" mean?
George Plimpton <george si.not> wrote:

I think most of their prices are high.

Their website programming limits browsing. The only other place I've seen anything similar is on YouTube. On YouTube, if you make too many comments (something like posting to UseNet) over a period of time, YouTube will ask you to do the captcha thing. If McMaster is so uptight about protecting information on their website from bots that might gather that information, they should implement something like captcha instead of some one hour or more lockout on their customers for some undefined/unspecified browsing behavior.
Maybe they should have a clicking speed indicator pop-up window or something.
I have a feeling that if there are any bots out there that are trying to penetrate McMaster's website, they probably don't have much problem doing so. That's why captcha is so difficult to get through sometimes, because the bots adapt.
I'm not really sure what they are trying to protect. The notice says "To protect product information, we limit search activities on our web site."
You might be able to simulate the lockout thing by looking up "aluminum". Find the page that lists all of the aluminum types, like 2023, 6061, etc. I wanted to see which type was the most popular, so I began clicking on them to see how many products were available, and returning to click on the next. Apparently that prompted the first lockout. Not sure what caused the eight hour thing, maybe asking them for advice about where else to shop. But hey, if they are so helpful, they should be able to help me get around having to wait for eight hours before ordering aluminum.
Currently, I'm placing an order with (www.onlinemetals.com). Their aluminum flat bar is half the price of McMaster.

Nonsense. It does nothing of the sort. I think you ought to run a _thorough_ malware scan on your computer.
[...]

Tried that -- and didn't observe any of the stuff you claim to. Try it from a different computer, and see what happens.

Yabbut have you seen how much they charge for shipping???