Alternative to duct tape for outdoor use?

Hi,
I have a boat cover with a couple of 1" to 3" rips. I would hate to buy a new cover just because of those small tears. So I'm looking at ways to patch it. I know for a fact that duct tape is only a temporary solution as it will not stand up to the elements (in California.)
My question is, is there any other tape that will perform better than duct tape. Sewing is not really an option as getting that monster in the sewing machine won't work.
BTW: The cover is made of 100% polyester.
Any ideas?
Thanx in advance to all who reply.

Maybe: http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000163.php
Look at what's mentioned in the 3rd paragraph.
jg wrote:

ROTFL!
You know that people were sewing long before the sewing machine was invented, don't you?

That's not true. They all wore togas and robes before the sewing machine was invented. One of the things Elias Howe had to do was to coin the word "sew".
ROTFL.
They sell sewing awls at Harbor Freight, for heavy material. For lighter cloth they sell needles at the fabric store and the notions department of the five and dime.

How about an iron on patch? You could even patch it on the hidden side so it looks better. After the patch is done, you could also spray some 3M ScotchGuard around the tear to keep it water tight longer. I have used these iron on patches on my hockey goalie pads and they work great. Been on for a year and still hangin on, even though these patches are on the inside toe area which is in constant contact with the ice.
Larry

On polyester???

Here's a link to a patch that specifies that it will work on polyester.
http://tinyurl.com/yhwl2b

Might want to go to a camping supply store and get tent patching material.
tom @ www.Mesothelioma-Lawyers-List.com
jg wrote:

Stop by a convertible top shoe (Automotive). They have the materials that will work. You may also find them at some auto parts stores. You can use a top grade contact cement and more polyester material cut into strips.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

my sails for years. It is not cheap, but you only need a few feet of it.