Alternative to concrete countertops

Hi,
We would like to install concrete countertop in the kitchen, but learned that our cabinets are not made to handle that weight. I heard there was another material that's like concrete, but it is a mix and is lighter. I can't remember what it was. Can someone remind me of what it was?
Thanks!
Sam
Sam Takoy wrote:

there's a product called granite overlay. basically very thin sheets of granite veneers glued onto the existing substrate.

I really like our Silestone countertop (a trademark of what Consumer Reports calls "quartz", since it is smal pieces of quartz embedded in some kind of really durable polymer. Ours has held up extremely well for the last 11 years, with minimal maintenance (just soap and water). It endures easily cutting, kneading of bread doughs, and pans right of the stove or out of the oven.
I do realize that concrete is a lot cheaper, but personally I don't like the looks, and I would hesitate as to its durability in daily use, and you point out the weight.
As the saying goes - get the best stuff right away and cry once, or go for the cheaper material and experience the problems.
Of course, this is MY opinion, and YMMV!!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

professionally made and installed concrete isn't any cheaper than granite or other solid surface countertops.
diy concrete countertops are a lot cheaper, of course. i've made my own but it's messy, heavy, and you need some specialized tools.

That would make my decision real easy!!
--
Best regards
Han

A 2-inch thick concrete counter top would weigh about 50 pounds a lineal foot. Light weight concrete would be well under 40. That's certainly less than an adult sitting on them, which any reasonable cabinet should be able to easily handle. If really in doubt, a some simple reinforcing could ease your mind.