Alternate electric ideas

Try alt.energy.homepower

Reply to
volts500

Seeing as how most everything now days has all kinds of serial numbers, identifying plates, and such, that sounds like good advice. My vote is on hamster wheel with a generator atached.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Where I live, for now, natural gas is more expensive than electricity.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

You've got me curious call the power company/.

Reply to
Mike

The only gas in my house is the stove and water heater and me. . . . .

I bought a circulating electric spot heater from COSTCO and only use the baseboard electric heat on very very cold days. There's a thermosat in each room . I'm on the utility budget plan @ $89.90 a month. However, July first the electric rate cap comes off and I'm looking at a 72% increase. Let me know if you're interested in the scam of utility deregulation and I'll send you an enlightening article.

Unfortunately, $200.00 - $300.00 maybe about right in a deregulated (read scam) market.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Let me know

Mike

Will do.

FWIW, the electric company sent the guy out for the permanent repair today, and he explained that the mysterious box is nothing more than a transformer. I have 2 "legs" coming in, and only one was working, so they hooked that up to a transformer temporarily.

Apparently, the squirrel on the wheel didn't work out as well.

- J

Reply to
Jason

(snip)

"Solar' does not always mean 'electric'. In the case of the hot tub, it is a no-brainer- a solar collector (can be as simple as a bunch of black tubing on roof), and a small electric pump, perhaps even a small windmill, would easily take over most of the water-heating duties for the tub. Electricity is very convenient, but sometimes stone-age forms of energy can still be very useful at a much lower price.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Agree

The Costco cf lamps are some of the best I've found

Reply to
me

ameijers wrote:> "Solar' does not always mean 'electric'. In the case of the hot tub, it is a

Andy writes:

You are absolutely right.... I was assuming that he meant using photovoltaic cells to make electricity for stuff.......

Solar heating is a very practical, and very cost effective idea if one is in a climate where the sun is readily available when needed...

Unfortunately, solar cooling isn't as practical, although I think that solar heat could probably be used to power ammonia cycle refrigerators. I've never seen one, but the fridge in my RV uses a tiny propane flame to run the cooling apparatus, so I suspect an enterprising fellow could replace the propane flame with a solar collector..... As far as air contitioning a house, forget it if a swamp cooler isn't good enough....

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Anybody can make energy, even kids: Oakridge-Marpole students were top winners at the Vancouver Climate Change game. Here's a link to the victory picnic party:

Andy wrote:

Reply to
tunesandballoons