Almost Fell Off The Roof Today

Worn-out 64-year-old old fart here again.

While descending, the ladder slipped backwards, but then caught itself. Result: a damaged piece of gutter and two bruised, bleeding shins with big knots on each.

So anyway, what gutters with guards do you recommend?

Reply to
Jack W

Sorry to hear about the war wounds. Buy a ladder stabilizer and attach it to the top of the ladder. The ladder stabilizer will allow you to work without the ladder leaning on the gutter (better for the gutter and a helluva lot safer), have the stabilizer legs resting on the roof shingles, or have the stabilizer legs resting against the wall under the gutter - the stabilizer will hold the ladder away from the wall so you won't be working out from under any roof overhang.

As far as the gutter guards, I've never found anything that works as well as the Leafguard gutters. Unfortunately they're a one piece gutter and not something you can add on to an existing system. Google the alt.home.repair newsgroup for gutter guards and Leafguard. The question comes up pretty frequently.

RicodJour

That almost put you in the same category as Green Bay Packer great Max McGee. McGee passed away recently when he fell off of his twin cities area roof. What a tragic loss. Be careful, we don't want to lose you either, Jack.

-john-

Reply to
John A. Weeks III

You may have heard about the guy who tied a safety rope from his car bumper to himself so he would not fall off the other side of his roof...

Well he heard his car start! His wife went to the store in the car to go shopping!

Reply to
Bill

It appears there are sever general types and each works well only with certain types of problems. For example the one that handles maple leaves may not do well with the maple seeds and will totally clog with pine needles. I suggest you ask around and see what friends and neighbors with like problems have and work for them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Leafguard gutters with built in guards work great. I have them in North Carolina and my parents did when they lived on Long Island with 6 oak trees on a tiny lot. Neither filled with leaves or any other junk. Downside is that they cost too damn much.

Reply to
Art

What john said.

Mike

Reply to
<nospam

Hire some kid to go on the roof, you are too old for that in the winter. I use a roof rake now and don&#39;t need to get on the roof.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

Live to be 65; pay somebody else to do it.

Reply to
GWB

Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote in news:47bb0252.3096421@news-

60.giganews.com:

I have some that the rain flows over like a waterfall. Don&#39;t know the name. Got them years ago, installed by a roofer. They&#39;re excellent.

Reply to
Marina

Ain&#39;t it funny how you remember that in slow motion?

I would suggest any brand of gutters that come installed. I have gutters on the deck at my cabin waiting for the snowdrifts to melt. The gutter guys nearly got snowed in and just left it for spring thaw. The way the porch is with the space underneath, the eaves are 16&#39; off the ground. I&#39;m only 59, and used to climb to the top of drilling derricks with no tie offs. (before a lot of OSHA crap) But any more, I don&#39;t like those long ladders.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote in news:47bb0252.3096421@news-

60.giganews.com:

Well, I had my ass reamed Monday - literally. Colonoscopy.

See, it can always be worse :-)

Reply to
Red Green