alligatoring of paint ?

I have a room that I need to refinish, apparently there was wall paper that was removed and painted over. I guess they didn't get all the paste off , now I have what I think is called alligatoring ?

What is the best way to remove or prep these walls for a fresh coat of paint ? ( the walls are sheetrock )

Thanks

Reply to
Sonbo

If you only THINK it's called alligatoring, maybe you should describe what's happening using words you DO know. In think case, is the finish cracking, or wrinkling?

If you mean cracking, then look here:

If you mean wrinkling, then I quote from
:

Wrinkling - rough, crinkled surface caused by drying interference and forming a wrinkled skin. Usually caused by: applying paint too thickly; painting over insufficiently cured primer; or painting during extreme hot or cool/damp conditions.

Reply to
Goedjn

SOP; Sand until smooth, prime and then paint.

If the wall was textured under the old paper and you are describuing that, then you need to prime, skim coat, sand , prime again then paint.

Reply to
PipeDown

It's probably not alligatoring but I know what you are referring to. Get the affected areas really wet with a spray bottle and see if the underlying paste along with the paint over it soften up enough to use a scraper. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

It is very possible that the paint film is sound, but is just applied over wallpaper paste that transmits the texture. If that is the case, I would sand it smoothe, prime and paint.

Reply to
Norminn