Allergies

My daughter has allergies (1st year... sniffle, sniffle, sniffle). I'm going to replace my air return filters with the ones that supposedly help remove pollen, etc. from the air. I'm also thinking of one of those air purifiers for her room. Do they work? Will it help? what brand is good?
Jo wrote:

Too many variables to answer.
Do a GOOGLE search: http://groups.google.com /
many newsgroups cover questions in this area.
You need to identify *what* appears to cause the problem: pollen molds pets dust etc.
Is the house closed up with A/C on 24-7?
Does daughter's problem lessen when outdoors? At someone else's house?
Lots of factors...
Jim
Consumer Reports has rated both products. Check it out at your local library.

I have battled terrible allergies for as long as I can remember. When I moved from home they got much better since my parents had a dog and two cats (how thoughtful of them). What I have done in my house now is get rid of all carpet and say no so far when the kids ask for a cat or dog. I've tried all of the filters and none of them seem to do much. I didn't think allergies could already be present in a one year old. Does someone around him/her smoke?

This could be a great reason to FINALLY get rid of that damn dog of mine!!! Unfortunately, I'm 99% certain it is pollen. She started during the bad pollen season we get in NC (lot's of pine pollen down here... yellow cars for about 3 months).
Tommy & Megan Price wrote:

The pro's claim that no one is allergic to pine pollen because it is too big. Of course I'm sure other pollen arrived at the same time.

Read Consumer Reports they tested alot of filters
Jo wrote:

Having a like problem for the last 40+ years, I suggest she see an allergist and find out exactly what the problem is and then you can target that as well as consider other medical approaches.
Yes, the filters work. But they may not help your daughter. Don't expect the furnance filters to do a great job, but still they are a good idea, assuming they don't build up too much static pressure in the air handling system. The in room filter may well be important as I would expect it to do a much better job of cleaning the air in that room. As has been suggested check out consumer reports for some good information.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
You didn't say what she was allergic to. Somethings are unavoidable unless he or she wants to live in a bubble. Has he or she been tested? If it is pollens which I'm thinking it may be because of the time of year, anything you do to purify outside air will help tremendously. Keep all windows and doors closed. A window AC unit is much better then central air. He or she can keep their door closed and at least get a good nights sleep. What medication are they on? I've been all all of them, I found Flonaise to be the best for me. Let us know!
It's got to be seasonal (some kind of pollen). The pollen in NC is NASTY. She was on Alavert (did nothing) and Sudafed (nothing). Now she's on Claritin (seems to be better). On Flonase too. She says that it helps. If it doesn't clear up in a few more weeks, or comes back next year we'll see an alergist.
Randd01 wrote:

Ah yes. I remember spring in Fayetteville when my gray car and my gold car and my white truck were all yellow.
Sue

--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
"Jo" wrote in message

I, too, suffer from allergies (although mine is year round). I am allergic to everything: pollen, mold, dog hair, cat hair, feathers, grass, dust (like, where can I possibly go without dust?) Anyway, I've had these allergies for the past 15 years or so. I also suffer a mild case of allergen-induced asthma--nothing serious, but definitely more noticeable during certain seasons. Oh, I'm also on 3 different types of allergy medication: Zyrtec, Singulair, and Astelin.
There are definitely things you can do to help with your daughter's reactions to allergens. You should be aware that once a person has allergies, s/he will always have allergies. The allergies themselves may lessen over time, or they may change completely (especially if s/he relocates). But I agree with the other posters here, the first thing you should do is have your daughter tested to determine what type of allergens she reacts to. Saying "pollen" or "grass" or whatever isn't enough--there are so many different types, and there may be some she's not allergic to at all. My allergies started when I moved to an agricultural area--where a lot of peat dust is generated.
The second thing is to remove as much of the triggers as you can. Removing the poor dog (if she's allergic to dog dander), or dehumidifying a room (if she's allergic to mold), or removing carpet (dust, pollen, etc.), will greatly alleviates the symptoms. Air conditioning units seem to intensify my reactions, so I never use it. I have replaced them with swamp coolers--they don't work quite as well as far as cooling a room down, but they're nice on my system.
Other considerations: "allergy relief" products such as dust mite covers on the mattress, or feather-free pillows, might be helpful. Even the simple things like washing my face before I go to bed at night really helps lots. Actually, her nighttime activities will indicate how well she responds in the morning, since those are usually the peak times for allergy reactions. I've also reduced my dairy consumption quite a bit, since dairy apparently contributes a lot to the "snot factor" (according to my allergist).
The third thing, if you can afford it, is to place a HEPA-filter air purifier in her room. This isn't your average air purifier. The HEPA filters are more costly than most because it's really the one that can truly filter out the allergens (they are a lot smaller than most things that float around). I bought an Austin Air for my bedroom and it seems to work fairly well. It's also more quiet than the others--emitting a nice "hum", which generally puts me to sleep. Plus, their filters are good for about 3 to 5 years, depending on usage. I've included a link here for you, if you're interested in checking out allergy-relief products. (I did not purchase anything off this site, but I think it's a good resource to peruse.)
http://www.allergybuyersclub.com /
040514 1624 - lounge_lassie posted:

You don't need all of that stuff. Just get a DeVilbiss atomizer and put some Listerine in it and spray it into nostrils and back of throat. Bacteria cannot live in this environment and it certainly clears out the nasal passages. It is also a preventive measure for colds and flu.
that sounds PAINFUL
indago wrote:

air purifier uk / remove odours / cigarette odours / asthma ****** Do Avoid ******
Marc James Marketing (www.airpurifiers.co.uk) Lost 284 to these people. Sent cheque 30th March 2004 No Goods No Refund as at 16th May 2004 Daikin - Manufacturers of Siesta air purifier do not deal with them and would like them to remove their products from the Marc James Marketing Web Site We obtained a Siesta Air Purifier from Healthy House They were 1st Class with a next day service! The Siesta 3 is excellent - a unique air purifier with photocatalytic technology for superior dust and odour removal and anti-bacterial benefits. 180 cubic meters/hr air flow makes this air purifier ideal for homes, small offices and other rooms with light to medium usage, up to 30 square metres (320 square feet). Photocatalytic filter Ultra quiet operation Breaks down odours 4 year long-lasting filter roll Removes bacteria and viruses Easy to clean & maintain Energy saving functions

Listerine is phenol and an antiseptic. Whatever, allergies are due to allergens deposited on sensitrive membranes and depositing phenol on it will only aggravate an already over sensitized area. Furthermore the allergens are not equivalent to a bacterial infection and bacteria are normal inhabitants of the nasal and throat passages. The science is therefore all wrong.
I do concede that gargling Listerine does give the throat and mouth cavity a freshening feeling. But this relief is temporary. Repeated application of Listerine in the nostrils and throat can't be good and may do a lot of harm.

Allergens and bacteria are not the same thing. Bacteria, you can kill. Allergens, you cannot--no matter how much Listerine you gargle and spray. And for some people, Listerine is an irritant, in much the same way as chlorine is for some swimmers.
Jo, about the only two things you can do when it comes to allergies are avoidance and medication. Both require identification of the allergens, which will require testing. There are various types of tests, but the two most common ones are the skin (scratch) test, and the blood RAST test.
Don't be surprised that your daughter may not be allergic to things like pollen, etc. My mother for years bought OTC medication (which never worked) to treat her sneezing and sniffling. She finally gave in and went in for some blood test, only to discover from what is known as irritant rhinitis. It's a condition that is caused by odors, fumes, smokes, even atmospheric or temperature changes. (My mom is a swimmer, and reacts to the chlorine in the waer.) Some people suffer from food allergies such as wheat or soy or eggwhites. The symptoms can be similar to that of your typical allergies--sniffling, sneezing, itchy eyes--so it's very difficult to tell or diagnose on your own.