All toilets created equal?

I've got 3 standard U.S. residential toilets in my house--all different models but all bought at the same place a few years back. Two of the three work just fine. But the third one stops up with solid waste probably two out of three flushes. (It usually clears after 2-4 extra flushes, but sometimes requires a plunger.) My contractor assures me that the waste pipes into which the toilets empty are all the same size, so it seems clear it's an issue with this toilet. Looking at the S-pipe outline on the lower side of the toilet, it seems as though the path from bowl to floor waste pipe is pretty similar on all three toilets. But only this one gets stopped up. (And yes, the same people are using all three toilets.)

Are the internal workings of the bowl-to-waste-pipe path standard from company to company, or is there a wide range of variations? How can I replace this toilet and be assured that the same problem won't result?

Jim B.

Reply to
Jim Beaver

What are the heights from the floor of the tanks for all three toilets and what is the height of the one you=92re having a problem with?

Reply to
Molly Brown

Look at the flappers of all three toilets. Do you have the type of flapper with a hole in it? How many holes do the flappers have? Is there another small hole on the bottom of the flapper besides the large one? Which toilets have more than one hole?

Reply to
Molly Brown

If the flushing volume is the same and the plumbing is the same there can only be a partial blockage in the one. A toy block, a tampon string caught on a screw or something. You may need to get a plumber to run an endoscope or what ever it's called down the pipe to SEE what the problem is.

Reply to
LSMFT

All toilets are not created the same. All it takes is to look at the reviews. I bet the one you have that sucks, has sucky reviews. We have a Kohler one piece we call the #1 toilet because any decent #2 plugs it up. We also have a Toto that could flush a dead cat.

Reply to
gfretwell

Fill a 5 gal bucket with water and pour it quickly into the bowl. If you get a sarisfactory "swoosh" as the bowl empties, you don't have a drain issue.

Water pressure is immaterial - the flush comes from the storage tank. Pressure just affects the refill time.

Builder special toilets are notorious for pour hydraulics. I have a couple of Sterling's (made by Kohler) that are horrible. Replaced 2 of them with Kohler Wellworth Lights that work fine. If you want to replace it, pick up a copy of the latest Maximum Performance Test of low flow toilets here:

Look for the link that says "6 Litre Toilets" and then click on the full report.

Reply to
Robert Neville

"Pour hydraulics" - That's the best Freudian I've seen all day!

Reply to
HeyBub

Glad someone else noticed, also. I'll do one better, that they are piss pour hydraulics.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They have flush ratings now, a 1 to 10 scale, toilets are not all the same. Get a 10 and replace the one you have.

I'm happy with my Kohler 1.28 Cimmaron, the old old always had problems.

Jeff

But the third one stops up with solid

Reply to
Jeff Thies

re: "they have flush ratings now, a 1 to 10 scale"

I'm not doubting your statement about a 1 - 10 scale, but I'd just like share my experience.

Having just shopped for a toilet - but only at HD and Lowes - all of the toilets were rated on a scale of 1 - 5.

Maybe if I had gone to a plumbing supply house, I might have seen a different scale but the borgs only went up to 5 - and I don't think that means that their best toilets are rated 5 on 1 - 10 scale.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Crap, no!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Go figure.

The ones I saw had a 1 - 10 flush rating with some labeled with the WaterSense logo. Perhaps a local partnership with the government.

I asked about the ratings and was told that they measured this by flushing bags of beans. The toilets I saw ranged from 3 - 10. A 3 being only 30% flushed. I assumed this was universal... apparently not!

Regardless, get a good flushing toilet whatever the rating system is. Google reveals little... The sites related are a mess.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Yes, WaterSense is sort of a govt/private sector partnership of sorts.

Many localities have rebate programs based on the WaterSense criteria for purchasing WaterSense labeled fixtures.

You can check model numbers and specs for WaterSense labeled fixtures here:

DerbyDad03

There are variations.

Here is another toilet test site which covers the capabilities of various size flushes.

Based on this info, we purchased an American Standard Cadet 3 - 1.28 GPF (4.8 litre) flush. Works like a charm.

Of note: A blister in the toilet porcelain occured. As the finish is warranted for five years, American Standard asked for an email photo of the blister then shipped us a new toilet. Very happy.

Regards, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster