All steel house

Page 1 of 2
I want to build a house out of steel. Every piece welded together. I figure some 1/8" steel plates welded to 2" angle iron in the corners, and reinforced with 1x2" channel at the seams. Everything, including the floor and roof will be steel. The floor will be covered with plywood for stability. I'm considering installing paneling on the interior using PL200 adhesive. The exterior will just be a rust proof paint on the steel. I intend to build this on a traditional concrete block foundation, with steel I-beams and some other steel channel to reinforce the floor.
I suppose you want to know why I want an all steel air tight home. The answer is simple. Mice and rats. I cant seem to keep them out of any other house, and because of them, I dont even sleep in my house anymore. I sleep in an all metal (tin) toolshed now, which is not insulated and can get pretty cold. However this shed had some air gaps, but I filled them with silicone caulking.
A few questions. Since there will be no seams, do I need insulation? It will be 100% air tight, but I know that steel gets cold in winter and hot in summer. I want no drilled holes, so if I need insulation, how do I install it? Can I glue on foam, then glue paneling over the foam? I'm also struggling with how to install the wiring. I know romex wont work because there's no way to attach it. So I can only figure to weld on steel conduit and boxes. The problem arises when I need to bring in the power from the outside meter. I do not want any holes whatsoever, and to get the wires inside, I would need a hole. Any ideas? As for the water pipes, those I can weld into the structure, so that's not a problem. Same for the gas pipes. But the last problem is the chimney. That leaves a hole. So far my only idea is to have the furnace outside, use hot water radiators which come into the house with pipes welded to the structure.
Anyone ever built a house like this?
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 01:58:23 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@-none-.com wrote Re All steel house:

Looks like a good idea. Go for it.

No, I for one couldn't care less.

On 11/1/2010 2:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@-none-.com wrote:

Buy an old ship, transport it to your property and bury most of the hull in the ground. It would be easier to weld up all the openings in the hull than to start from scratch. There are people using old airliners for homes, why not use an old ship?
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@-none-.com wrote:

Very similar to it. They are called "ships".
--

dadiOH
____________________________
snipped-for-privacy@-none-.com wrote:

Think cat.
On 11/1/2010 11:12 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I've never seen a cat take a rat of any substantial size. They don't eat rats, or mice for that matter. Think rat poison.
Jeff
Jeff Thies wrote:

"Towser" 21 April 1963-30 March 1987
Towser, the famous cat who lived in the still house, Glenturret Distillery, for almost 24 years. She caught 28,899 mice in her lifetime. World mousing champion, Guinness Book of Records. (Plus rats, a few pheasants, and an occasional rabbit.)

How in the heck did they count the mice?
As to the person who said cats dont eat mice, you need to go back to school. Mice are their favorite meal. On the other hand most cats wont tackle a rat, but some do. I guess the rats attack the cat or something.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I think they used a beaded-string thingy like you see over pool tables.

I have had cats all my life so I should know. It depends on the cat. I have a Manx mix among others that will kill and eat everything including the head and tail if its a mouse but will leave the head and tail if its a rat, I dont know why. Its not like they cant chew it because I had a Ural Rex that could eat a whole chicken including all the bones. They liked to team up with my Ragdoll who was much better at finding them but would not eat.
On 11/2/2010 12:46 AM, Molly Brown wrote:

Manx are "bad" cats! I had a friend with one who had warned the Holey Roller visitors not to touch the cat. A hospital visit ensued when they ignored said advice. That was a big cat!
I just have the garden variety cats here. Catching mice is easy, but I only see them dead, rarely they may eat the head.
Chipmunks, on the other hand, are the perfect food. Tasty and entertaining. Mine find lizards and snakes tasty also. Moles and mice are just left for dead, there are better meals. Rabbits are good, but not particularly entertaining.
Its not like they cant

He must have been huge!
I've seen mine take rabbits of all sizes, but only stand off rats. A full grown Norway rat is a serious opponent for a 10 pound cat!
They also won't tangle with raccoons. They seem completely indifferent to possums. I've seen a possum eating while a cat was resting against him. Possums can eat a lot of cat food, but I guess cats don't take that into consideration.
They liked to team up with my Ragdoll who was

Must indeed depend on the cat!
Got some pics somewhere, if anyone is interested.
Jeff

My cat eats the Tweety's but as far as I can tell only kills the Micky's, Alvin's and Thumper's.
We don't have any Templeton's so I don't know what she would do with one if confronted.
Jeff Thies wrote:

Usually.
Had a mostly feral cat that had a litter of wee ones in the flower-bed. A couple of thirty-pound urban raccoons came nosing around and Greta (from the Garbo line "I vant to be alone") chased their masked butts into the next county!
A few days later, I saw her terrify a wandering Irish setter into palpitations over the same issue.
Momma cats - like most mothers I guess - are fiercely protective of their brood.

I've had a couple of feral cats, that we saved from prisons. One is still with us (Darby).
After fishing one day I filleted and removed the skin from some fish. Jessie fell in love with fresh fish. Later, she would hear the boat trailer coming down the street and would greet me in the driveway -- just sitting there. Years later I killed a rabbit that was getting into my garden. Skinned it and gave Jessie some of the hide with scent glands. After that, she killed every rabbit, and even taught Keri (Key Rye) to catch rabbits and eat them. Keri always left the kidney at the back door and would never eat it.
One day I had the garage door open and a young Dalmatian roamed in from the street. Jessie pinned him in the corner, causing the dog to piss all over the place.
We still have Darby, she is about 18 years of age. Jessie used to walk to the mail box with me too check the mail.
On 11/2/2010 2:39 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Years ago I had a weimaraner pup who played with cats, he thought they were just funny looking dogs. One day the poor little guy made the mistake of saying hello to a mama cat. He was dumbfounded and heartbroken by what happened.
TDD
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 13:35:12 -0400, Jeff Thies wrote:
[snip]

One of my cats (
http://notstupid.us/anything/cat.5.jpg ) has caught several mice, as well as lizards, and at least one small rabbit.
--
53 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I've got a cat door and why oh why do they have to bring the critters into the house? Snakes, birds that get lose I've had to open the back door get the broom and shoo several birds out of the house, mice lots of mice dead and sometimes they get lose but they are good as dead with the two cats, it's just a matter of time. Max the cat (he's pretty big) catches squirrels, a squirrel can put up a pretty good fight but Max so far can handle them. I found a dead mole in the yard the other day, I think Max got him also. He's a hunter, at least he didn't bring the mole into the house.
FatterDumber& Happier Moe" <"WheresMyCheck wrote:

In the book "Do Cats Think?" the author told the following story. He lived in the far suburbs and made a home for four outside cats. He managed to teach them that killing mice was okay and killing birds was bad.
One morning he walked out on the patio to discover all four cats standing around looking nonchalant. "What's up, guys?" he asked.
Presently one of the cats went around the corner of the house and returned. With a bat!
Putting the dead bat at the author's feet, the cat looked up as if to say: "Is this a mouse with wings or a bird with fur?"
Welded steel cat?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@-none-.com wrote:

Steel is cold and passes cold. Spray foam 6 inches thick all around should help. All you need is a pregnant mouse to get into the door when you ain't looking and your steel house will be full of rodents. I have a wooden house and no rodents come in because I don't have any cracks or holes.
--
LSMFT