All Fired Up

The smoker , that is . Put a 11-12 pound butt on a little after 9 for dinner tomorrow , as soon as I'm sure the temps have stabilized between

185?-195? I'll be toddling off to bed . Been a trying weekend ... yesterday we broke ground for the next phase of Casa Snag , the kitchen . I spent most of both days on a little trackhoe and I'm tarred . I now have a pit next to the house that's 14' wide and about 20something feet long , and deep enough that the basement/storm shelter/storage room will have near 8' ceiling height . The space will be about 8'8" by 14'8" floor space , outside dims are 10 by 16 .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

The meat is done ... the smoker is a Brinkman smoke-n-grill , horizontal tube wurh a fire box on the left end , fired with lump charcoal and a few chunks of Mesquite . I've been using cherry , but the grocery I buy my charcoal at had mesquite on sale last time I was in so ... right now the smoker is in "kepp warm" mode , running around 150? .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You buy wood? No tree trimmers or fruit orchards around?a Trimmings from a woodworker?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mesquite is not native to our area . The cherry is from a downed tree on my property . I also have hickory , black gum (worthless except as a nectar source for the bees and charcoal for black powder) , red and white oak , sassafras (haven't tried it for smokin') , maple , and several other species . I have a TLUD charcoal stove , but haven't had the time and inclination to use it . Last time I tried I got sidetracked and ended up with ashes ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

OK, that makes sense. I've heard of people using sassafras but never had any. I saw where one person said it gives a root beer taste. Have you tried to burn any to see what it smells like? Others say not to use it.

I have hickory, oak, maple, cherry, and can get apple, peach, walnut.

I smoke my butts and briskets hotter than you do, about 275.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The pork butt is awesome ... and I checked the cellar excavation last night with my laser level, it's within an inch of level , had one area at the end closest to the living room that was about 4" high , took care of that this morning before I returned the machine . Next step is forming and pouring the footings (14" wide and 6" deep) for the block walls . I'll be using my brandynew cement mixer . The adventure begins ... I'll take some photos tomorrow , to be posted in a new folder on my photobucket page ,

Reply to
Terry Coombs

How long do you smoke them ? I usually go for an hour and a quarter per pound . I have some nice walnut boards , but I'm not planning on burning them ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Usually a good eight hours for butts. Until I can put the bone out by hand. Brisket goes about 12 hours. I put it on the night before.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oren posted for all of us...

Should have told him you didn't papers, that's what feathers are for.

Reply to
Tekkie®