All Fired Up

The smoker , that is . Put a 11-12 pound butt on a little after 9 for dinner tomorrow , as soon as I'm sure the temps have stabilized between 185?-195? I'll be toddling off to bed . Been a trying weekend ... yesterday we broke ground for the next phase of Casa Snag , the kitchen . I spent most of both days on a little trackhoe and I'm tarred . I now have a pit next to the house that's 14' wide and about 20something feet long , and deep enough that the basement/storm shelter/storage room will have near 8' ceiling height . The space will be about 8'8" by 14'8" floor space , outside dims are 10 by 16 .
--
Snag

Oren wrote:

The meat is done ... the smoker is a Brinkman smoke-n-grill , horizontal tube wurh a fire box on the left end , fired with lump charcoal and a few chunks of Mesquite . I've been using cherry , but the grocery I buy my charcoal at had mesquite on sale last time I was in so ... right now the smoker is in "kepp warm" mode , running around 150? .
--
Snag

On 9/14/2015 3:05 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

You buy wood? No tree trimmers or fruit orchards around?a Trimmings from a woodworker?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Mesquite is not native to our area . The cherry is from a downed tree on my property . I also have hickory , black gum (worthless except as a nectar source for the bees and charcoal for black powder) , red and white oak , sassafras (haven't tried it for smokin') , maple , and several other species . I have a TLUD charcoal stove , but haven't had the time and inclination to use it . Last time I tried I got sidetracked and ended up with ashes ...
--
Snag

On 9/14/2015 5:59 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

OK, that makes sense. I've heard of people using sassafras but never had any. I saw where one person said it gives a root beer taste. Have you tried to burn any to see what it smells like? Others say not to use it.
I have hickory, oak, maple, cherry, and can get apple, peach, walnut.
I smoke my butts and briskets hotter than you do, about 275.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

How long do you smoke them ? I usually go for an hour and a quarter per pound . I have some nice walnut boards , but I'm not planning on burning them ...
--
Snag

On 9/14/2015 9:35 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Usually a good eight hours for butts. Until I can put the bone out by hand. Brisket goes about 12 hours. I put it on the night before.
Oren posted for all of us...

Should have told him you didn't papers, that's what feathers are for.
--
Tekkie

Terry Coombs wrote:

The pork butt is awesome ... and I checked the cellar excavation last night with my laser level, it's within an inch of level , had one area at the end closest to the living room that was about 4" high , took care of that this morning before I returned the machine . Next step is forming and pouring the footings (14" wide and 6" deep) for the block walls . I'll be using my brandynew cement mixer . The adventure begins ... I'll take some photos tomorrow , to be posted in a new folder on my photobucket page ,
--
Snag