All electric house question (YO doug)

We've just purchased a house that's had most of the electrical wiring scavanged out of it. Also, it's a propane house, and they stole the HVAC system out of it also. I'm considering changing this house to all electric. As i've never been around an all electric house, so I'm unfamiliar as to how they're typically setup. Do they use one large panel, or two seperate ones? I have no idea (yet) how much amperage is required for the electric backup on a new heat pump system. My HVAC guy will tell me that when he bids the job. I want to start gathering pieces and parts as i will be wiring/re-wiring myself. The current panel has to be replaced regardless, due to it being a 100a FPE stab-lok. Just looking to get some preliminary ideas on what i'm up against as far as service requirements. It's only 1000 sq. ft ranch style 3 bedroom. Will go with electric hot water also, but possibly two units. We will, however, retain the propane for the range. (homey don't do electric stoves)

thanks

steve barker

Reply to
S. Barker

200A service is plenty, even for all electric.
Reply to
Pete C.

You certainly need the specs on the backup heat, but for a 1000 Sq ft house barring lots of electric goodies, hot tubs, saunas,etc. a 200 amp service should be plenty

Reply to
RBM

150A should do it. 200A will set you back more, but you won't regret having it after the initial cost.

This is a very good link if you want to know more.

Terry

Do you get much of a winter in your location? Where is this house?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Normally one large panel.

150A service should be adequate for a home of that size.
Reply to
Doug Miller

I have a fully electric 1700 sq. ft. house in the US North East. It's a

200 Amp service and the bill is between $85 (spring, fall) and $350 (coldest months) a month. I have a regular and an off-peak meters which also helps to keep the bill lower. I think better insulation and better windows would make a big difference for the winter bill. My heater is not a heat pump, just a coil which is also not very efficient.That'll be my next big project. Should also make a big difference in keeping winter bill in check.

Good luck! I think you'll like it all-electric.

\\//.

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 266488 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

eastern kansas

Reply to
S. Barker

Thanks to all who responded. I'm comfortable now ordering breakers for the new 200A panel i already have.

S. Barker

The wire for a 100A service will be too small for a 200A or 150A and will have to be replaced.

Reply to
Terry

Living in NY State, there's no way in heck I'd go all electric. I know friends who lived (past tense) in an all electric house, and the ice storm of 1991 nearly froze them into ice cubes. At least have a gas stove, or a propane stove with a tank.

Check the rates, also. The one time I had all electric building for my work shop, it nearly bankrupted me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do some comparisons of energy cost. Electric in most areas is veryexpensive compared to other fuels. Propane water may be cheaper and give faster recovery times. Check it out while the choice to change is still simple.

Go here

Edwin Pawlowski

There's more to consider than just the cost: electric water heaters don't need flues.

Reply to
Doug Miller

They're also pretty much maintained free, and don't have thermocouples. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in downstate NY, the propane companies hike their prices up wildly at the drop of a hat

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for the link. I'm still definately not decided on the water heater OR the heat backup option. This house is on an electric coop and the kwh rate is about 25% higher than the surrounding area, BUT they do give a seasonal rate 8 months out of the year if you register a heat pump with them. I will for sure have the heat pump, since it's a no brainer. They give a $600 rebate and the heat pump option (last time i did it) was $620. But you never know where the price of LP is going either.

steve

S. Barker

I considered that also. Since the current situation is all disconnnected, we are considering moving the mechanical to the other end of the basement.

S. Barker

I haven't looked at the feed service yet. The meter has been pulled, and it's only about 50 feet from the house to the meter pole, so changing the cable won't be a problem.

S. Barker

snip> "But you never know where the price of LP is going either"

Yes you do!!!

RBM

We had an electric outage during a cold ice storm here once. I was glad to have gas logs (that would heat without electricity).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

well, good point. I hear ya.

S. Barker