Alkaline battery chargers

Page 2 of 2
On 3/31/2014 11:19 PM, H oM eG uy wrote:

That's just a sales pitch from a company peddling its charger.
Then there's this:
""The alkaline batteries (which are generally based on the conversion of MnO2 and Zn to Mn3O4 and ZnO) offer an excellent example of this last point. Although the chemical changes at the electrodes can be reversed, until recently alkaline batteries were manufactured only to function as primary cells. Recharging one of these primary cells could allow the battery to be reused, but the possible number of recharging cycles for such a cell is very limited--it performs more poorly with each recharge. More important, recharging an old-fashioned alkaline battery is not safe. During or after a recharge, the battery might generate enough hydrogen gas to cause an explosion. In their rechargeable form, alkaline cells have undergone several changes. They have been redesigned to allow for a more efficient reverse reaction, they contain a catalyst to minimize hydrogen formation and they have safety vents that prevent the buildup of excess pressure during recharging." http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-rechargeable-that/
So - recharging standard alkalkine batteries isn't safe, nor is it very efficient, given that the potential number of recharges is very low, and the amount of available power decreases with each cycle.
Considering how cheap even the high-quality rechargeable batteries are getting, I can't see why anyone would bother messing around with trying to recharge disposable batteries.
On 4/1/2014 7:18 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

That's good information, it's just at least 15 years out of date and alkaline batteries have changed since then. Not in their basic form but in many subtle ways to improve their performance. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 23:35:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Philo said that dry cells are/use a non-reversable chemical process.
Doesn't that make someone wrong?
On 04/01/2014 06:17 AM, micky wrote:

This will save me a lot of typing
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Analytical_Chemistry/Electrochemistry/Voltaic_Cells/Case_Study%3A_Battery_Types/Batteries%3A_Electricity_though_chemical_reactions
On 4/1/2014 7:17 AM, micky wrote:

I don't think we can be bipartisan, on this one. As for me, I've recharged single use alkalines, for years.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

It hardly seems worth it. After you recharge one for years, how long does it last?
On 04/01/2014 07:52 AM, micky wrote:

LOL good one.
Like I said before, a dry cell (or any battery for that matter) will partially recover just by letting it sit for a while.
In addition to the chemical reaction running it's course...a dry cell will make a transition from "moist" to "dry".
If you poke holes in the side and soak it in salt water you actually can gain some charge...but you'd have to tape it up and still it would probably leak. Might be useful on Gilligan's Island though.
On 4/1/2014 8:52 AM, micky wrote:

As the bus came to a stop, the woman got off the bus with a jerk.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

They never ran out of clothes. Someone must have been marooned there before they were.
On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 05:37:21 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Yes, but she disappointed me before the day was over.