algea in swamp cooler

My swamp cooler is equipped with those expensive blue pads (they are only a month old).
My swamp cooler has also started to smell of algae. How do I kill/remove the algae without having to replace the expensive pads. Or killing the humans as well!
thks,

You might try a teaspoon of copper sulfate, aka "root destroyer."
Nick
At just about any store that sells swamp cooler parts, you should find "algae blocks". I can think of one called the Fresh Air Block. These are simply placed in the pan, under the inlet water flow, and allowed to disolve. You might have to check on them monthly depending on your cooler usage.
To learn more service and repair information on evaporative coolers, visit: www.easycoolercare.com
Larry Galpin The Cooler Doctor
Service, Repair & Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler Yourself and Save $100s Every Year!