Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

Page 4 of 9

Ditch the old and get the new. Many available:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/kg3yajf
(Hey, I finally remembered to copy the proper link. I know, what a moron...)
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:44:07 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Thanks. If it comes to that, I'll start fresh. I have 24 zones to deal with though ...
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3756/11061237796_150cc3544f_o.gif

Before you start pratting around checking diodes, capacitors and the like you should disconnect all the external wiring to the circuit board and power the board up on its own to verify that the field wiring or expansion modules are not the cause of the problem
Doug

Great idea, Doug. After he removes the old system, and installs the new one, his pet project on the side will be getting the old system working. :-)

I am certain you may find something that works, and is probably better than the ancient thing that you are playing with.
On Monday, November 25, 2013 11:29:15 AM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:

I would not replace just the board, unless you can find the exact replacement at a good price. I would replace the alarm panel.
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:03:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Replacing the alarm panel is fine by me, but, I spoke to someone at Bosch who said that the "frequencies are different" for each manufacturer.
Is that true?
Seems to me that an alarm system as a simple job. If the switch is open, ring the alarm.
Why wouldn't the wired and wireless alarm devices on the doors and windows be compatible with *any* manufacturer?
Is it true that only a Bosch/Radionics panel will work with Bosch/Radionics controllers and Bosch/Radionics switches and motion and smoke detectors?
Danny D'Amico wrote:

Hi, You are thinking analog, now most any thing is digital. Even reelays are solid state devies, no electro mechanical things.
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 14:57:04 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

I'm ok with simply replacing the Bosch/Radionics D2212BLT board (where the LT simply means the board kit came without the transformer).
Bosch has plenty in stock, but they won't sell them to me. ADI & Anixer will only sell them to a contractor.
I just had a long conversation with the guys at http://obsoleteradionics.com who will try to get the board for me (they say it's the most common board out there).
Jeeesuz. Bosch has this market locked up tight!

Nice.
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:46:54 -0800, Oren wrote:

After a half dozen phone calls today, I see that Bosch has their distributors and dealers locked up.
They won't even quote a price, even though they have plenty of these boards in stock (it's the most common board, according to one guy).
The trick, just as it was with garage door torsion springs, is to find the "pass through" supplier, like Dan Musick of DDM fame.
Doesn't anyone on the alarm newsgroup know a pass-through supplier?
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 00:53:47 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

I wouldn't expect any differently. They rely on each other for the food on their tables.

Why bother quoting it if they can't sell it to you. Have you tried showing up at quitting time with ten or twenty Franklins?

How about your local alarm company?
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:13:04 -0500, krw wrote:

My logic in asking would be the same as my friend asking me how much my cellphone cost. I could still quote the price even if I had no intention of selling it to him.
They all told me exactly the same thing. If they told me the price, they would be breaking their legal agreement with the manufacturer.
So, one thing I've learned here is that Bosch sure knows how to lock up a market. I'm pretty sure I will have a source by tomorrow though, as I have a few leads pending from my phone calls.
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 02:18:47 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

So, you would give your friend a price on *your* cell phone without any intention of selling it? Do you think Bosch is your friend?

Gee, they won't violate their contract with each other. How odd.

Bosch has done no such thing. "The market" is not their parts. Buy a system from someone else, if you don't like the way they do business.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

This is nothing new. I helped a friend start an alarm business back in the mid '70s. Some distributors refused to sell to the company, unless we signed a contract to spend at least $100,000 a year with them.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:22:22 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I'm sure it's not new. It's completely understandable. Do you think McDonalds corp. will sell to you for a lousy $100,000 a year?
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I have no idea what a McDonalds franchise costs. These companies were refusing to sell wire and door switches. Items that other companies begged to sell us, and they carried the same brands.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 19:52:44 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

http://franchises.businessmart.com/how-much-does-a-mcdonalds-franchise-cost.php
"How Much Does a McDonald's Franchise Cost?" The McDonald's Corporation requires a minimum of $250,000 of non-borrowed personal resources to consider you for a franchise. In other words you need $250,000 cash on hand to just start the discussion process with McDonald's."

Their business model. If you don't like it, buy from the companies that were begging for your business. Some don't take their franchise agreement seriously. Others would rather not risk their livelihood.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I have nothing to discuss with them. I might go there twice a year. There is at least one closed franchise near here. Boarded up for years. It's next to a Lockheed Martin factory. A half dozen other fast food places are empty, as well. One was only open two months before it closed.

They dropped the minimums after we started buying from their competition, but their prices were more than double what other vendors wanted. Hell, we could buy it cheaper from the OEM, than from some of obnoxious wholesalers. In fact, we could buy custom branded sensors for less than their OTS inventory.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 21:27:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Just stating the facts.

So where's the beef?