Alarm system help needed

I am looking for some advice.

My mother's house was wired up for an alarm system at one time using security screens, door switches and some window switches.

For some reason, the wires going to the control box were pulled up into the attic.

Can I check each wire using a continuity checker and opening/closing each door and window?

One weak area has has two "doggie" doors that are big enough for someone to crawl through. (One goes from the yard to a outside room and the other from that room to a middle room)

I can't see any way other than getting rid of the "doggie" doors.

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

That's the easiest way to run the wires, especially if the system was installed after the house was built.

That should work. Make sure the line is good all the way back to the controller.

I think you left something out of that sentence. I'll assume you mean "...way to make the house secure other than...".

I always recommend _against_ installing pet doors. People fit though lots of them just fine. If a person won't fit through, the burglar can always fit extension tools through. Unfortunately, I'm not always successful in talking people out of the installation, so I put it in anyway.

If the doggie doors are installed in people doors, The cheapest solution is to get new people doors. If the doggie doors are in a wall, you'll need to add some 2x4 framing and wall covering.

Reply to
SteveBell

Have you considered placing motion detectors in those rooms with the doggie doors? They can be placed high enough to allow the dogs to go through without setting the alarm off, but low enough to sense someone walking through.

Freckles.

Reply to
Freckles

That's an idea, but what if the burglar crawls low like a dog?

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

That's an idea, but what if the burglar crawls low like a dog?

Andy

If you secured your dogs in another room whenever you have your alarm on then you could have the motion detectors located low enough to sense a crawling intruder, be it man or beast.

Reply to
Freckles

Any other way to...... ??? what ???

You mention testing wires, and then you mention dog doors. What do you want to do?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If they were smart or ambitious, they would earn an honest living. They aren't.

Reply to
Chris Hill

You should be able to check simply by arming the alarm system. If a door or window is ajar, the alarm system should tell you.

Reply to
HeyBub

Did you consider installing bolt latches to secure the doggie doors when you're away?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The alarm probaly has a mode to test without alarming, or disconnect the phone dialer and outside siren and test it. Your way wont test the control panel. Do you have dogs, I have "Pet Alley" sensors that block off the down angle they have so only an outward path is detected so dogs can walk around. Its a regular sensor with plastic to block the down angled lens. [ motion lights work the same way and can be adjusted with tape] There are magnetic doggy door locks where the dog wears a collar to activate and unlock the door. Advanced smoke detectors have a magnetic area to run a test. If its a monitored system the monitoring site should help you do all the tests and testing the phone dialer. No doggy door is safest, poison could be thrown inside. The new deal is : "Lock Bumping" if you are really worried look at Medico or a manual keyless that is "Bump Proof". a

12ga is good for peace of mind.
Reply to
ransley

There is currently no control box. After testing the wires, I will call in the alarm company to install the control box and a keypad.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

They are already installed, but they could easily be kicked in.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

My mother's next door neighbor has a Right to Carry License. He now has permission to do what the law says he can should he see a burglary in progress.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

Assuming you mean a concealed weapon permit such a permit simply allows you to carry a concealed weapon where the permit is recognized. It doesn't convey any other rights.

A "castle doctrine" law would need to be in place in that state in order for someone to defend themselves in their home without worrying about recourse.

George

Put magnet switches on the doggie doors. But you'll need to run a wire out on the people door.

Reply to
Bob M.

Do you think it's possible the alarm company has someone who can test all the switches? Why should you even bother?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He's mentioned maybe doing away with the doggy doors. But he hasn't asked any kind of question regarding the doggy doors. I hope his alarm company can tie him up and waterboard him. That's about the only way they will figure out what he wants.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I tested the wires to learn how it works and save my mother money.

I found and labeled all the wires for the doors. The basic ADT package comes with just 2 door sensors and a motion sensor that can "handle" dogs under 100 lbs.

The 3 security screens don't have continuity when I checked the two wires that come out of the screen. (Maybe they still work.)

I will talk to the technician about them when he comes out next week.

P.S.

I would recommend not putting Jesus in written communication along with "waterboarding". Folks might think you are Satan's helper.

I hope his alarm company can tie him up and waterboard him. That's about the only way they will figure out what he wants.

-- Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

Texas does have a Castle Doctrine.